ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

camera tracker issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Camacho Guerrero
camera tracker issues
on Aug 28, 2012 at 5:30:44 pm

hi Hello,

I have been through some funny issues with Camera tracker of the foundry.

I have created a scene in my video, with a good track data ( that is what i think) , so when i create a plane in a right point, this plane fix really well in the spot.

however if i try to create another element and fix it there, it does not respect the tracking data.

Has anyone going through the same?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: camera tracker issues
on Aug 29, 2012 at 4:03:29 pm

"however if i try to create another element and fix it there, it does not respect the tracking data."

What do you mean by the above- that you are selecting track points and creating a Null or something else. Also, how does the newly created element not respect the track data?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Aug 29, 2012 at 4:10:16 pm

Yes, imagine i have a bench . In this bench I create a solid ( with camera tracker view) by selecting 3 or more points from the camera tracker.

this plane basically fit properly and keep in the place properly.

However if I create any object. The object itself does not respect this data and flies around the scene.

Besides, in another video I found the track stop in certain number of frames. Why this happen? Is the frame rate affecting this ? ( I have done these videos with a Samsung galaxy camera and the frame rate is really not usual).

Many thanks!!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 29, 2012 at 4:36:13 pm

Any object ( and by this I refer to any 3d layer) that is correctly positioned in 3d space taking the plane you have created as reference should work just fine.
As far as to why the track stops- not knowing the exact details about footage and project is hard to say. Try transcoding your footage to a different format, an uncompressed one, and track again.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Aug 29, 2012 at 4:44:27 pm

Thanks ted,

When you said "correctly positioned in 3d space taking the plane you have created as reference should work just fine." do you mean parent the new 3d object to the plane??

Usually I just turn on 3d icon and place in space and if the tracked data is good, it keeps well in space. Do you have any other way to do it?

thanks for the advice of converting. I am having loads of issues with these mp4 and codec h264. Maybe it is reason.

many thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 29, 2012 at 5:56:17 pm

I used to create Nulls and parent the objects to them- in case of a plane you can parent or use the side/top/front views to position.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Aug 29, 2012 at 7:19:38 pm

these nulls are created from camera tracker or normal nulls??

many thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 30, 2012 at 6:30:07 am

Here's a tutorial that explains the Nulls I am talking aboout:

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/cameratracker/training/#class10

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Aug 30, 2012 at 8:41:47 am

awesome, as always thanks a lot man!

cheers

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Aug 30, 2012 at 10:42:03 am

Hi Ted,

I have been playing around with the camera tracker. Increasing the number of track features has improved my track so much .

Now it looks like my 3d elements parented with nulls works really well.

However, I am using Element from video copilot. This plugin uses a 2d layer ,and the 3d position parameters are inside of the plugin. Parenting in a normal way does not work anymore and the 3d element does not respect that track.

any suggestion?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 30, 2012 at 12:56:35 pm

Create a plane/null with the track data - look at the position and rotation parameters. In the Element Effects Control panel open up the Group you have your object assigned to and position it matching the parameters in the plane/null.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:33:09 pm

that is the funny part. I did that already and does not match at all.

Is there any parameter that i am putting wrong?

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:43:03 pm

I think I found the reason. If I place my 3d object and I change the position to place it in the right place , my tracked data goes to hell. I can only change the size and rotation.

How can i place the elements in the right place?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:21:17 pm

Let me clarify a few things:

1- Your track data generates a camera solve- that creates a camera that matches the real world camera. Do you have the exact details as far as lens type, distance and "film" size or are you just eye-balling it?

2- When you adjust the Element object position, are you adjusting the World position or using the controls under the Particle Replicator?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:28:50 pm

1- Unfortanely I am doing it by eye-balling it, because i dont have any detail from the camera.

2 - I tried with both and both poor result.

One thing I understood after loads of times, is that if i set my ground floor where exactly i want to place my element 3d , the track works well, however if i start to move the element to fit properly, the more i move , the more goes to hell.

Which gives me another headache, how can i put two elements???

this is the video in particular:
https://vimeo.com/48535837

I want to place some 3d text in the left bank and another 3d text in the right bank.

If the video does not load, wait 30 min please, it is still uploading.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:45:47 pm

What version of AE are you using?

The video is not up- I'll take a look later.

You should create a Null by selecting the track points that correspond in the footage with the place where you want your 3d text to be.
In Element use the controls under the Particle Replicator to position the object. Once the position in matched, the only thing you need is to rotate and re-size, there should not be a need to move the position.
For the second text, choose other track points, generate a second Null and use that as a reference to place the second object in Element that should be assigned to a different Group.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Shaun Myatt
on Sep 3, 2012 at 5:28:23 am

i have this exact same issue, and to be honest Ive done all of the above as standard, yet my object still floats on the z plane, regardless of using the replicator x,y,z and using the null position figures in said mentioned particle replicator, ive also corrected my lens, I've entered the pixel pitch, sensor size, aspect ratio etc etc, my track is bang on, and in Boujou the test object is 100% solid, so i don't understand.
once both the corrected footage is in AE as well as the tracking cam data its meant to be just a case of creating an element layer via solid, and using the null (once un-picked) for the position data for the particle replicator, and then creating another null parented to the original nulls and camera to move the object, at least that's how Kramer does it..the weird thing is, it gets worse as the camera comes into the middle of the move ie when it starts its not really floating, as it starts moving faster, it starts floating faster, yet its working in the sense of x and y, this is a major problem as I've been trying now for 4 days

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Sep 3, 2012 at 10:33:18 am

Hey Ted,

thanks a lot, sorry for the late reply butI have been working on find out which is the problem.

I kept trying with the way you say, but i couldnot. Sorry

As they say here:
http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=90308

this is pretty much a bug that will be fixed in the next update.

For now the only solution is setting up your floor scene where you want to place your element 3d, and there just changing the scale and rotation, once you start to change the position, it gets messed.

shaun for you, my recommendation is using camera tracker and setup your ground plane where you want to place your object.

People in the forums say the plugin does not work well with pan shots.

I found this as well.

By the way, someone know how to see the element 3d in 3d views?

many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]