ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

HP Pavilion g7 for AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leon EdwardHP Pavilion g7 for AE?
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 10:12:39 am

Hi, what do you think about purchasing the HP Pavilion g7 for working in After Effects? See specs here.

The HP Pavilion g7 gets rave reviews on Amazon. It has a quad core processor (which I gather from scouring the internet is the most important thing for running AE quickly).

I am always traveling and when I am at home run off solar energy that is prone to cut out for a few seconds every now and then so I must buy a laptop.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated! I use Trapcode products sometimes but generally my usage of AE is more simple (e.g. kinetic typography). I would like to have a computer that could do as much as possible without breaking the bank.

Return to posts index

Satyen GuruRe: HP Pavilion g7 for AE?
by on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:53:53 am

If you are planning to use this laptop as your primary machine, then I will suggest you NOT to go for it.

It has more 'cons' than 'pros' with respect to AE usage.

Firstly, the processor. Pros generally don't suggest AMDs for the video works. Even best of the AMD processors have got very low ranking in the bench marks when compared to mid range INTELs.

Second, the speed of the processor. Though it's quad-core, the speed of it is too low for video work. Processor speed will definitely effect the way AE behaves.

Lastly, the memory. From specs, it says that memory is Upgradeable to 6 GB only which again is less when compared to counter INTEL machines with minimum of 8GB upgradeable. AE is a big memory eater, so the extra memory will definitely benefits it.

All in all, I recommend you not to go for it, instead, I will suggest a machine similar to this which is of more or less in same pricing range. Though it isn't quad-core, it's speed & performance will definitely satisfies your needs.

Recently, we have finished the following short-flick edited in 1080P with PPro and motion graphics in AE entirely done on this machine with smooth work-flow and with out any issues at all.(Don't know whether this model is available in UK region)

Hope this info helps you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved