ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

matching video to an audio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hassan Ibrahim
matching video to an audio
on Aug 27, 2012 at 8:23:02 am

hi.
i was wondering how do they match videos to an audio like in a music video.. e.g there are flashes with beats. normally when i try to match a video to an audio in after effects i have to ram preview again and again which takes a long time and i have to watch entire video from begining which is very annoying..
any help would be appereciated.
thanks.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: matching video to an audio
on Aug 27, 2012 at 9:47:01 am

There's several ways to do it in AE, but as a rule, when cutting a sequence you do it in a editing package, like Premiere.
For timings for motion graphics, you can select the audio layer, hit the "." key on the numeric keypad to start playing the audio only and the "*" key to set markers that point to the place where you want a change to occur. This provides real time interaction. You can determine the length of the audio preview in the Preferences.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Hassan Ibrahim
on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:13:28 pm

Actually I wanted something which would allow me to watch video n listen audio simultaneously just like ram preview but have an option to listen only a specific part. I already use audio wave form to match audio n video but for fine adjustments I have to ram preview again n again.

Return to posts index

Ryan Hayward
on Aug 28, 2012 at 8:28:16 pm

If you want to do a RAM preview of just a certain part with the music change your in and out points by dragging the yellow handles closest to the timeline at the top; that way it only previews that section and you don't have to watch the whole thing...

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 27, 2012 at 11:12:45 am

There are also some plugins that can turn audio into keyframes. I've used Boris FX's Beat Reactor.

Return to posts index

Hassan Ibrahim
on Aug 29, 2012 at 2:12:34 pm

Got it. :) Thank you everybody for your support... thanks a lot :)

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Aug 27, 2012 at 4:06:41 pm

Hi Hassan

------ for fine tuning you might find it useful to open up the waveform on the audio track where you can see whats happening

- I dont cut videos myself but I can tell you this is very good for graphics edits as you can see precisely the 'shape' of whats going on and adjust small details accordingly

chris brett // uk

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 27, 2012 at 10:58:54 pm

If you can't afford a pricey plugin, there's always the brute-force method: do it in your video editor. Add the music track, and cut in a frame or two of white over black. Then play it back to double-check that the flashes happen on the beat. Export the edit from your NLE and import into AE. You now have a n-fail visual reference of the beat.

You don't even have to make the exported video large: it can be tiny. Just make sure you picked the proper frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]