ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any ideas on how to design this effect(s)?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danel GussmanAny ideas on how to design this effect(s)?
by on Aug 25, 2012 at 6:12:29 pm

Terrible game, i know, but one of these cut-scenes actually seems to have the closest thing to what I'm looking for without going on the discovery channel and looking through hours of footage to find a 20 second clip -_-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBbe0CO6plM&t=4m24s

from 4:24 - 4:35 is what I'm looking to accomplish. To put it into perspective:
  • Transition from a textured ground to a 3D ground made of "grid lines"
  • Transition from a regular 3d model (say a tank or something) to a "grid" model
  • Scan effect that happens at 4:26-27

This actually seems pretty advanced to me, but i feel as though learning this would be really fun and something useful. If anybody has any suggestion im all ears(: Thank you!

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Any ideas on how to design this effect(s)?
by on Aug 25, 2012 at 7:20:35 pm

Definitely built in a 3D program.

You could fake some of the effects in AE but it would take investing in some plugins like Element (for the 3D tank, which you would also have to buy). And maybe Mir for the landscape.

Cinema 4D probably would be the more effective tool to use, but with some great skills and creativity you might pull it off in AE with the plugins I mentioned.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Any ideas on how to design this effect(s)?
by on Aug 25, 2012 at 8:06:11 pm

Mr. Gussman

This is done by rendering the 3D models in both "Shaded" and "Wire-Frame Mode(the Grid One)". By putting both in Ae one above another, you can make this effect by slightly lowering the opacity of above layer.

You can use any 3D application like Maya,3d Max and cinema 4D to render the models.

I too love this effect a lot. Its one of my favorite game.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Danel GussmanRe: Any ideas on how to design this effect(s)?
by on Aug 26, 2012 at 2:36:56 am

Haha true, to each their own! :P Im not one for run and gun shooters, though i must say survival/zombies mode in the recent installments is a lot of fun!(:

Which of those would you recommend? I have no experience in 3D modeling. I hear that Maya is superb but i want to know from a video makers point of view and not game designers which i tend to talk to a lot haha :P

Thank you very much by the way(: Turning the opacity down from the shaded model to the wireframe does make a lot of sense! I guess i'd have to build my own model or download one though.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Any ideas on how to design this effect(s)?
by on Aug 26, 2012 at 12:59:42 pm

Mr. Gussman
It depends on your budget to buy 3D software. Maya is is the costliest one. You can go for 3D max and there are more tutorials for 3D max than maya so it will be easy for you to learn.

You can either build your own models or you can download. Again it depends on how much time and budget you have to do this project.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Any ideas on how to design this effect(s)?
by on Aug 26, 2012 at 5:20:02 pm

Like the other posts recommend, using a 3d software to build an animation and then rendering two passes would be the usual way to go.
However, this can be done all in AE with the use of 3rd party plugins (like Tom suggested). My choice would be to use Zaxwerks Invigorator Pro (or Pro Animator). You can import most 3d files and you can assign a grid texture to it. The terrain can be created using FreeForm Pro - displace a layer using a terrain height map (you can find plenty from the geo survey sites). The displaced layer should be a precomp that contains a terrain texture that dissolves into a grid.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Danel GussmanRe: Any ideas on how to design this effect(s)?
by on Aug 27, 2012 at 1:22:33 am

I have some friends that wouldnt mind giving me some 3d models they have so im thinking it may be easy to do it all in after effects to! That idea of per-composing it and then putting a grid texture over it never occurred to me! Wow that's genius! Now the thing is though, would that cover the whole thing with grids or only the edges? Which is what i look to do. The ground it plausible though with that idea and can work perfectly! Im actually going to go ahead and try that this weekend with the ground texture idea(: Thank you!

Also I might just get 3d max to have fun with it to, just try it out. Im sure it could benefit me sooner or later!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]