ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render Crashes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Schaub
Render Crashes
on Aug 24, 2012 at 8:54:28 pm

Hi,
I am working on a huge 4k comp. It actually 4k wide but only 1080 high. I'm mostly doing lighting effects on 3D layers and a few particles. (I have disabled the particles and still have the issue) When I preview a single frame in full resolution it takes about 15-20 seconds to render the full resolution frame. Which seems reasonable. I have done several renders at half resolution and everything works ok, but when I try and do a full resolution render test it gets held up on the first frame. If hangs for a long time and will either fail or crash before a single frame is rendered. I have tried rendering out to tga files and get the same result.

I am on CS5 Ver 10.0.2.4. I have a 3.33 mgh 6-Core Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM. I suspect I am going to need to upgrade my ram, and was planning on going to 32GB.

I have disk cache enabled and multiprocessing disabled. When I try with multiprocessing it totally crashes. ATI Radeon HD 5770 Gfx card with 1GB V-RAM.

I have checked the activity monitor and AE starts out using about 10GB of real memory and 9GB of virtual memory, then it starts to trail off. Before failing, it's at around 1 GB of real and 200mb of virtual.

As I said, I am willing to do a ram upgrade, but I want to be sure 32 is going to cut it and the likely solution.

Any help or advice would be wonderful. Thank You.

John

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Render Crashes
on Aug 25, 2012 at 2:31:35 am

I suggest that you spend your money on CS6 instead of additional RAM if you are concerned with memory issues. Download the trial and set your memory settings as such -

Reserve Cores for other apps - 3
Reserve RAM for other apps - 4

This should leave you with 12GB of RAM and 2 cores plus one other core for AE's main app. Let us know if results are better.

Of course you could try these core/RAM settings on your CS5 setup to see if it'll help. The gist is that when working with large rez files, it is ideal to have more RAM per core at the expense of fewer cores being available. The high rez footage items being larger in bitsize, require more RAM.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

John Schaub
on Aug 27, 2012 at 2:16:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. Is CS6 somehow better with memory?

I enabled multi-processing and I tried these settings. It actually started rendering, but gave me a error "Unable to allocate more than .065 mb of ram." Several copies of the error popped up but it continues rendering. I stopped it and got another error: "A frame failed to render". When I look at the activity monitor AE is using 4-5GB of both real and virtual memory. AESELFLINK is using 500mb of both real and virtual memory. It also appears, from the graph, that all the processors are being used.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 28, 2012 at 3:15:54 pm

I am ASSUMING that CS6 will have better memory management eventhough there is no Adobe literature on the topic, AFAIK. My assumption is based on related deficiencies in the past and CS6's Global Performance Cache (Persistent Cache isn't too relevant here).

Do post a snapshot of your Prefs->Memory & MP settings page for us to have a look-see. I'm also hopeful that you've tried the CS6 routine I suggested earlier.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

John Lijo
on Aug 30, 2012 at 9:55:40 am

Hi

Purge your Memory before rendering that helps Also disable multiprocessing . You can enable the secret preference holding Shift key and select purge every 30 th frame

Hi

Take a look at http://blufishmotion.com/

I'm affordable and work easily remotely.

I do Stereoscopic 3d conversion,Rotoscoping, Motion graphics ,2K, 4k Motion Graphics Rendering Services, video & audio editing at reasonable price and less time.
Connect to me on jonlijo@blufishmotion.com

Thanks
john BlufishMotion
http://blufishmotion.com/

Contact me +919818783046

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]