ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects lights withing precomps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin CarverAfter Effects lights withing precomps
by on Aug 24, 2012 at 9:17:36 am

I'm struggling with a problem which I can't figure out, and maybe it's because I just can't do it this way. I have a main composition, which is a very basic 3D set comprising of a floor plane, a wall plane, and a camera of course.

I also made a 3d cube using 3D layers to be placed into the room and pre-comped it, and then dragged the precomped cube into my main 3D room comp. That works fine. I can rotate the camera around the room/cube and everything works as expected.

However, what I wanted to be able to do was *inside the 3d cube comp* place a couple of AE lights to light just the cube. Although I can see the cube as expected in my main 3D room comp, the lights within the 3D cube comp are not showing up. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way AE works?

The reason I don't want to light the cube by just put lights into the main 3D comp is that I intend to have about 6 further cubes in the scene, and I want each cube lit differently and with different colored lights.

So am I correct in assuming that After Effects just ignores lights inside precomps?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After Effects lights withing precomps
by on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:18:25 pm

You are correct about the lights within a precomp.

Take a look at this tutorial by Eran Stern, he makes the lights in his comps adjustment layers to help control what the lights illuminate...might be some help to you.

Adjustment Lights

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Colin CarverRe: After Effects lights withing precomps
by on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:52:25 pm

Thank you Johnny.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved