ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Updating Footage in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron BartonUpdating Footage in AE
by on Aug 23, 2012 at 4:39:19 pm

Hey everybody,

So Ive been working on some comps in After Effects during the offline using original camera footage. Now that the spots been approved and color corrected, I'm wanting to update the files in my project with the color corrected footage. The problem I'm running into though is that the color corrected footage is not the same length as the original camera files, so no matter how I try to replace the footage in the comps, I get problems with files jumping all up and down the timeline due to changes with the In/Out point, and paint not updating to the new footage.

Is there a way to do this so that I don't have to redo all my comps?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Updating Footage in AE
by on Aug 23, 2012 at 5:34:10 pm

The only way I can think of is to bring in separate comps the initial footage and the color corrected one- one comp per shot, create the comps by dragging the initial footage over the comp icon at the bottom of the project window (this makes each comp the exact length of the shot)and then drag in the color corrected piece and match the in and out. Render the whole comp using an uncompressed format and then you can replace in your project.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mike ImamRe: Updating Footage in AE
by on Aug 23, 2012 at 9:10:24 pm

Ted is right - I've had the same problem and employed a similar method as a fix. It's a bit tedious (depending on how many clips you have) but it's the simplest way. Did you pre-comp your clips? If so, you could just drag the new footage into the existing precomps, hide the old footage layer and be done with it. This is why it's sometimes a good idea to use pre-comped clips rather than clips themselves in your timeline: instant global changes.

Either way, I output using ProRes and there was no discernable difference when I re-imported back into AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved