ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Settings for encoding into flv (always choppy outcome)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kun Nam
Settings for encoding into flv (always choppy outcome)
on Aug 22, 2012 at 2:37:11 pm

Hello, I'm working on making a digital signage and created couple clips with AE CS6 to add into the signage. The monitor is a 42" with a resolution of 1920x1080. I got a mediaplayer to manage the signage and the company that made the mediaplayer suggests using flv with a h.264 codec for it uses the most potential with the GPU not the CPU. However, whenever I convert the delivery video to flv using adobe encoder, it becomes extremely choppy at random intervals, not always at the same spot. Mainly during when big picture that I slid across the composition. I have tried using quicktime with animation and photojpeg. The photojpeg is very high in quality and runs very smooth. It is 25 sec and 265mb with 1920x1080, QTJpeg(GVC) input, YUY2 output, 30fps and VMR9 - Renderless Mode(not sure what this is, it was under directshow filter list). And for the convert, I used adobe encoder with FLV, and just about every setting, from 100-10k bitrate, cbr/vbr, one/two pass, alpha channel, everything that shows up on the settings. Could it be that since it is a 1920x1080, it will cause the video to be choppy in FLV? But the photojpeg runs very smooth so I'm stumped. I also tried changing the framerate to 29.97 for flv, and on the photojepg as well. I also tried using other converters such as freemake and a bunch of other free converters, which were too low in quality and still a bit choppy. Example for one of the flv is
*** VIDEO INFO ***
Input Type : FLV4(GVC)
Input Size : 1920 x 1088
Output Type : YUY2
Output Size : 1920 x 1088
FrameRate(Frame/sec) : 0.00 (0.00)

If you need anymore info, please let me know!
P.S. Maybe there is a very new codec that came out with AE and Encoder CS6?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Settings for encoding into flv (always choppy outcome)
on Aug 22, 2012 at 3:25:18 pm

I think Adobe Media Encoder always uses the On2 VP6 codec for FLVs.

For H.264 in Flash media, try using one of Adobe Media Encoder's F4V presets, like "Web - 1920x1080, 16x9, Project Framerate, 7500kbps."

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kun Nam
on Aug 22, 2012 at 3:40:55 pm

Thank you for the reply Walter!
But the mediaplayer does not support .f4v files :(
This is the formats they support:
Video Formats: Flash video FLV (H.263), MPEG-4 (H.264) ,MOV, M4A, MP4V, 3GP, 3G2, AAC (HE, LC), SWF
We HIGLY recommend you use FLV (Flash Video) with H.264 encoding as it supports hardware acceleration and will run on the GPU (not CPU) and give the best performance

I tried creating some 720p flv's and they run smooth minus the crystal quality. Is 1080p just too much for flv files?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 22, 2012 at 3:47:28 pm

[Kun Nam] "Video Formats: Flash video FLV (H.263), MPEG-4 (H.264) ,MOV, M4A, MP4V, 3GP, 3G2, AAC (HE, LC), SWF
We HIGLY recommend you use FLV (Flash Video) with H.264 encoding as it supports hardware acceleration and will run on the GPU (not CPU) and give the best performance"

I am not aware of the theoretical differences (if any) between FLV and F4V.

In practice, a lot of Flash video players will work if you simply rename the .F4V file to .FLV.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Kun Nam
on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:04:53 pm

I tried it but there are a lot more video lag in the f4v switched into flv one. Maybe 7.5k kbps bitrate is too much? But then how does one get 1080p on an flv format without the lag? Arg

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:31:26 pm

Can your digital signage vendor suggest a specific compression workflow or provide you a good working 1080p sample file that you can analyze?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Kun Nam
on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:43:42 pm

The guy had no idea what i was talking about...
I guess I'll write an e-mail for the compression workflow and sample...
Right now im trying out flash to see if making it in flash will be better than AE.

Update: No difference, even in SWF files...

Return to posts index

Chris Riley
on Dec 12, 2012 at 3:01:02 am

Kun Nam,

Did you ever figure it out? It sounds like you were talking about MS. Let me know if you still need help.

Return to posts index

Kun Nam
on Dec 12, 2012 at 2:37:23 pm

Hi Chris Riley, unfortunately I didn't find a solution. I did however try putting up a music video with 1080p to see if the hardware was unable to process the video fast enough, but turns out it ran extremely smooth. Sorry, but I'm not sure what MS stands for. Since I was short on time, I just created the clips with minimal movement, but I'm still eager to find the reason behind this issue. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 23, 2012 at 12:42:34 pm

[Kun Nam] "Maybe 7.5k kbps bitrate is too much? "

It possibly is. I'd give an MP4 with CBR at 5MB bps a try. For most specialized hardware delivery systems, CBR provides a more consistent playback experience especially if the encoding application doesn't allow you to specify a value for allowable spikes when encoding to VBR. An MP4 at 5MB bps file may not be noticeably different to one which is 7.5MB bps.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]