ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Green Screen Noise

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew GlasserGreen Screen Noise
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:43:18 pm

Editing a project that was shot in AVC-Intra 100 against a green screen. It's just talking head interviews. I can get a good key using Keylight but I get a lot of noise in the face and clothing of the interview subjects. Noise is not an issue until I pull the key. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Green Screen Noise
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:22:59 am

Keylight may not give you initially the best results - you need to play around with it.
Here's a good tutorial:

A simple Google search will bring some more good ones.

Sometimes it is best if you transcode the footage to an uncompressed format and then pull the key.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Green Screen Noise
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:06:04 pm

Also, reducing the actual area of green that you are having to key out can be a big factor. To get the smallest area possible, this tutorial can't be beat.

"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Barend OnneweerRe: Green Screen Noise
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 7:04:47 am

And set Keylight to 'intermediate results' instead of 'final'. This bypasses the spill removal in Keylight that's known to amplify colour noise.

You'll then need remove the green spill using a Hue/Saturation filter or other spill killer.

On the other end of things, it doesn't hurt to remove noise before keying. Look into Neat Video, works wonders on reducing noise and compression artefacts which will dramatically improve the matte.

Raamw3rk - independent colourist and visual effects artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved