ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trapcode Particular layer emitter problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sergio juyak
Trapcode Particular layer emitter problem
on Aug 20, 2012 at 1:26:49 am

I'm trying to emit particles from a layer with Particular. Everything looks fine at first, but when I turn on motion preview, I see that Particular is emitting particles at all points, not just from my logo. I would expect particles to be emitted only from areas that have an alpha channel, and not from areas that are transparent. My suspicion is further confirmed when i turn on the auxilary system and emit particles from particles. How can I get Particular to emit particles ONLY from areas of my layer that are opaque?

screenshot:

project file:
4553_layeremitter.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Trapcode Particular layer emitter problem
on Aug 20, 2012 at 5:26:19 am

For layer emitters particular works by randomly sampling points within the layer boundaries of the emitter. It samples all points in the bounds regardless of the RGB or alpha values. There is no way around this. Usually this isn't a problem because the properties (size, color, opacity) of the particles can be controlled by the layer.

What are you trying to do where this becomes an issue?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 20, 2012 at 5:31:40 am

There are two issues at play here -
1) the Aux System uses the size of the Layer Emitter (including transparent areas) to determine where to create aux particles

2) The Layer Emitter uses all areas within the layer, including transparent areas to determine where to create the main particles

I believe that your real-world issue is the lack of particles showing up in the final render. All issues, including the real-world one can be lessened by making the Layer Emitter only as big as is required. A quick solution is to use the Region of Interest to define a much tighter boundary around the Layer Emitter and then using the menu item Composition>Crop Comp to Region of Interest.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

sergio juyak
on Aug 20, 2012 at 5:52:32 am

Hey guys thank you for responding. What i'd like is for the text to sort of ooze/bleed as if it where ink. I wanted to emit particles directly from the text, and use the aux system to create a trail of child particles as the main particles fly away from the text. (i'm actually using a sort of graphic element, but the issue is the same). Am i to understand that this isn't possible? That is to say, the layer emitter can't emit from some areas and not others -- rather it simply hides the particles that are emitted from transparent areas...?

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Aug 20, 2012 at 2:43:35 pm

Mr. Juyak

Watch the tutorial in the link below where Qua Michalski shows how to use layer emitter. May be this will sort out your problem. Its a big tutorial but makes you clear how to use Particular with layers as emitter.

http://qubahq.com/2011/01/tutorial-procedural-disintegration/

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

sergio juyak
on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:26:46 am

Mr. Arora,
Thank you for the link! I downloaded the project file form the tutorial and discovered that I could solve my problem by changing the Layer Emiter Sampling to "Particle Birth Time." Yay!

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Aug 21, 2012 at 8:44:08 am

Welcome Mr. Juyak :)

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 22, 2012 at 12:38:03 am

[sergio juyak] " I could solve my problem by changing the Layer Emiter Sampling to "Particle Birth Time." Yay!"

Good catch Sergio!

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:28:53 pm

Layer Emitters and the Aux System do not work well together, as you know. Perhaps multiple instances of Particular will do the trick.

There are also other methods to creating an ink/bleed effect. Conduct a COW Search for "ink bleed" to see what others have done/recommended in previous threads.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

jay dunn
on Aug 20, 2012 at 5:48:48 am

maybe particle playground?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved