ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can After Effects handle 5k RED EPIC file size workflow and renders?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lourdes Ruiz
Can After Effects handle 5k RED EPIC file size workflow and renders?
on Aug 19, 2012 at 11:42:23 pm

Hi All,

I'm helping on a indy film project and doing the animation credits. I got a request for the title credits to be delivered in RED - 5k. I tried a test render in 5k for 30 secs, 2.5 hours later the output video clip came out black. File size 5911x3325 8bit color channel.

Can After Effects CS5 and higher handle 5k RED EPIC file size workflow and renders? It's a first for me and only HD 1920x1080

Renders done are on the new MacBook Pro Retina display. Currently testing again in 16bit color channel. Really would appreciate all the helpful advice given.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: Can After Effects handle 5k RED EPIC file size workflow and renders?
on Aug 20, 2012 at 2:16:56 pm

"Can After Effects CS5 and higher handle 5k RED EPIC file size workflow and renders?"
I'm using cs4 keying with red 4k R3d in AE and it's laggy but it does work. I'm on a 8core 2.6 ghz with 22 gig ram. If you can get your hands on the original footage I suggest you re-transcode it from red raw to tiff sequence in the red cine-x app free from red. If you are just rendering out a title sequence in 5k you shouldn't have a problem unless you are running an i5 processor and below with only 8 gig ram, you will have a lot of lag and it will feel really bogged down. If you can work in proxy mode or use third resolution from the resolution pop up menu do that, but render in full quality. I don't think the 16 bit will make a difference unless your title sequence has gradations, blurs or anything that demands 16 bit color precision.

For your export you should be rendering out just your title sequence only, not comped with footage as that will take you longer to render, and comp the text in the final edit. And yes, on a laptop you will experience long render times. Dude, it's 5k. Hope this helps.

"It's a first for me and only HD 1920x1080"
Do you mean you are exporting to 1920? Then it really shouldn't be a problem

-Keith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]