ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render skipping when scaling compostion After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yoran radecker
Render skipping when scaling compostion After Effects
on Aug 19, 2012 at 6:50:39 pm

Hello community,

I seem to be getting a repetitive issue when rendering out using the MPEG2 codec as well as others (Quicktime)

My sequence was shot and composed using HD footage and composition settings with 24 fps.

When I rendered this using any format Quicktime MPEG2 and H.264 all at highest quality and bit rates they all played fine using any video player.

However I now have to convert my showreel so it will be playable on a DVD ready to be viewed at any studio.

I decided to render out a tiff sequence also tried with lossless avi and import it into a new compostion set at square pixels and resolution to 1024 x 576 with a frame rate of 25fps. I then scaled the sequance to fit the comp.

Now when I rendered through render queue, the sequence plays back with jumps/skips with what seems like regular intervals (Keyframes). I thought it might be a codec issue but when using the quicktime codec it does exactly the same.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

My specs are:

Quad core i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
16GB RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
Nvidi Quadro 4000

Cheers

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Render skipping when scaling compostion After Effects
on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:21:06 pm

[yoran radecker] "My sequence was shot and composed using HD footage and composition settings with 24 fps... However I now have to convert my showreel so it will be playable on a DVD ready to be viewed at any studio... I decided to render out a tiff sequence also tried with lossless avi and import it into a new compostion set at square pixels and resolution to 1024 x 576 with a frame rate of 25fps... Now when I rendered through render queue, the sequence plays back with jumps/skips with what seems like regular intervals (Keyframes)."

By changing the frame rate from 24 to 25 frames per second, you are asking After Effects to retime all your work, interpolating from the old frame rate (24) to the new one (25). There are three ways AE can do this: frame skipping/duplication, frame blending, and pixel motion. Each has benefits and drawbacks, and it seems from your description that you are using frame duplication. None is perfect.

The good news is that changing the frame rate is not necessary. You can author DVDs at 24p.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

yoran radecker
on Aug 26, 2012 at 2:37:49 pm

Thank you Walter for replying so quickly.

However after rendering out at 24 fps.I set the frame rate in projects settings to 24 fps as well as in the comp settings. The rendered file became unplayable by any video player (VLC, Windows Media) Also the file size was only 4 bytes.I did not author the MPEG2 to a DVD. Is that necessary to be able to view it?

I asked my teacher regarding the comp and render settings and he advised me to:

"leave it on square pixels and set the resolution to 1024 x 576 set your frame rate to 25fps."

"change output to Mpeg2 - DVD from the list and export your sequence"

That didn't work either. Setting the output to MPEG2 DVD does not allow for a resolution of 1024 x 576 only MPEG2 does but this comes with the skipping render.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or missing will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

yoran radecker
on Aug 27, 2012 at 2:16:56 pm

So I rendered out a lossless avi with 1024 x 576 and square pixel. I then used media encoder to encode it to a MPEG2 which all worked well on playback with good quality.

However when authoring it through Encore I was not given the 24fps option at all. It seems to only render pal at 25fps which when played had the skipping come back again.

So now I'm thinking of rendering everything out from Nuke again as a HD tiff sequence except this time with 25fps and then take it back into After Effects. Re-render a lossless with the resolution of 1024 x 576 and encode with Media Encoder afterwards all at 25fps.

I hope this will sort out the problem of the frames skipping.

At least now I know not to ever use the MPEG2 encoder from AFX as it's not as powerful as the Media Encoder one and creates many issues.

I hope this will do the trick as I have to render out 4 different 20 second sequences at HD quality with tonnes of layers and effects from nuke. I'll let you know in a couple of hours if it worked.

I have been told to use 25fps so 24fps is a no go.

Any help much appreciated,

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]