ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Specific question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach NewtonSpecific question
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 6:47:31 pm

I've looked through the entire FAQ here and at the official Adobe help page, I admit I did hastily but time is a factor for me so please excuse me if I missed anything on this. Google was no help either.

Ok here's my situation. tl;dr I can't save but I'm not an idiot.

I created an after effects file to work on my animation demo reel, started a new composition and proceeded as I usually do, worked on it for 5+ hours and saved religiously throughout. Today I opened it up to finish it and I get a message saying my file doesn't exist. Now I have to start all over. What happened? I always make sure to save and this time was no different. I'm running out of time to complete this project, is there anyway to retrieve my lost work? I'm currently using CS5.5 on Windows 7 and this is the first time I'm having difficulties in AE of this kind. For the past hour I've been testing with new files and I get the same result. Nothing saves. I first save file as, then ctrl s, and in more recent tests I tried Increment and save, though I never used it and don't know what it does.

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Ruud van GervenRe: Specific question
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 7:26:37 pm

Hey Zach,

Hmm seems like a very anoying problem. I don't know of an inmidiate solution but i wanna help anyways. U could try to run AE as administrator, maybe you're having permission problems..

As for increment. This option makes a new savefile with a different name. If your original file would be called then increment would make a new version called This is very usefull if you wanna have backups of important phases of your project.

Gd luck with the problem!

Grtz Ruud

Return to posts index

Zach NewtonRe: Specific question
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:40:16 pm

Thank you for the swift response Ruud.
It's not getting better, however, I did find a solution. I must save my file directly onto my external hard drive and that way I can access the file without losing my data. It's a temporary solution, but I'll just reinstall AE when I'm finished with this project. Perhaps that's what I need.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Ruud van GervenRe: Specific question
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:55:52 pm

You're welcome Zach! I'm glad you found a workaround and i hope the reinstall will fix the problem :)

Grtz Ruud

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved