ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Working with large Photoshop File

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart SamuelsWorking with large Photoshop File
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 4:05:17 pm

Hi.

I'm working on a short animation based around an image (supplied by the client) created in PS that features around 200 small layers. The client has asked for each individual layer to "explode" and the reconverge, recreating the original image.

My problem is that the size of the original image is killing my Mac when it comes to rendering. The image itself is MUCH bigger than I need for the video.

What would be the best solution to the issue, baring in mind that I have already pretty much completed the animation? I've got a terrible feeling about this one...

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Stuart.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Working with large Photoshop File
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 5:01:09 pm

Since you're almost done with it, pay someone to render it for you. Save some money and get a better rig. If you want to fix it, you're looking at messing about with each of the 200+ layers.

In the future, to ascertain how large you need a file to be (in pixels), scale it to the max size you need. Right click on the Scale property and select Edit Value. Then change the the Units reference from % to pixels.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Working with large Photoshop File
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 5:05:00 pm

If you already worked out the animation with the large image, I am afraid that all you can do is pre-render the elements that you can and then comp them back together for the final render. Ideally would have been to re-size the initial image to minimum possible size that would enable you to get a clean looking animation.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Stuart SamuelsRe: Working with large Photoshop File
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 5:51:26 pm

Thanks for the help.

That's what I feared to be honest. At least I've learnt something for next time.

If I was to do it again would I scale down the original file in PS or import the large file into AE and simply scale down in there? I assume it's the former but just want to check.

Thanks again.

Stuart.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Working with large Photoshop File
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 6:08:00 pm

You would need to determine the largest you need to have the image- or parts of it- in the frame and then resize accordingly. Also, make sure you work @ 72dpi - you do not need more for video. I usually prep my files in PSD - open up a HD frame (or whatever size my video will be)- copy over all the images (layers) that I will use and scale them here. Just make sure when you import you retain layer size.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Aug 17, 2012 at 6:23:33 pm

Thanks.

That makes perfect sense. Can't believe I didn't think to do that first really.

Lesson well and truly learnt.

Thanks again.

Stuart

Return to posts index

by on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:01:19 am

Hi again.

I went back to the start and have tried reducing the original image size (scale and resolution) using the recommended setting (Bicubic Sharper) but the resulting image is terrible quality in comparison with the original, to a point where it's pretty unworkable.

Here's a screenshot of the image in Photoshop with the original size info visible.

Is there anything I can do with it to make it workable within AE or am I at a dead end?

My system specs are:
17" Macbook Pro
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

Much thanks if you can offer anymore advise.

Stuart.

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Working with large Photoshop File
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 5:18:35 pm

I wonder if there a way to crop each of the 200 layers so that each piece of the "puzzle" could be as small as possible for animating in AE? No need for them to be the same dimensions as the main photoshop file. Maybe there is a script that will take a PSD and auto size the individual bounding box for each layer....

Something like this!!! http://aescripts.com/pt_cropprecomps/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Working with large Photoshop File
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:31:25 pm

Chris makes a good point about puzzle pieces, which led me to think there may yet be a way around this, depending on the nature of the photoshop document.

Can it be supplied to you in individual layers, which would make the animation far easier?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Aug 18, 2012 at 10:51:40 pm

The photoshop file is separated into all the different layers. The problem is the sheer amount of them combined with the large size of the image and high resolution (see my screen grab in my previous post for the exact details).

If you can think of a way around the problem that I've missed I'd be eternally greatfull!

Stuart

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Working with large Photoshop File
by on Aug 19, 2012 at 6:08:35 pm

Even if a typical layer in your PSD is, let's say, just a 10x10 pixel part of the nose, when you bring that into AE it will be a pre-composed layer of 3500x5000 pixel dimension - because that is the size of your PSD. So you are trying to work with 200 of these 3500x5000px layers - YIKES! I am interested to find out if running the crop script I linked to in the earlier post, which will cut out all of the unnecessary alpha and shrink the aforementioned layer down from 3500x5000 to 10x10, actually makes animation more efficient.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2012 at 6:39:41 pm

I'll give it a try later this week (got some shooting to do on Monday but should be able to get back to it on Tuesday) and will report back.

I'm beginning to understand the ins and outs a little more thanks to the help and explanations provided here, so thanks again for everything.

Stuart.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2012 at 8:05:11 pm

So I just gave it a go (managed to find some time). and to be honest I'm not entirely sure what difference it made.

What you said about each layer being the size of the PSD, well I'm not sure that they are... Each layer's bounding box is only the size of the individual layer, not the size of the comp. This is even before I run the script. Of course I could be mis-understanding however.

Anyways, I ran the script all the same but it doesn't seem to have made any difference to the render time unfortunately.

Back to to the drawing board I guess.

I've asked the designer of the image if he has a smaller version of the image but I'm not holding my breath.

Stuart

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]