ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Import an object track from Syntheyes into After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nadja van StiphoutImport an object track from Syntheyes into After Effects
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 11:36:07 am

Hello there!

I hope this is the correct thread for my question.

I am having a really hard time finding out how to solve my object track I have imported from Syntheyes in to After Effects.
I followed this

tutorial from using the same footage. In short I get export data from 9 null-trackers without additional camera information because there is no camera movement.
My goal is to match up a text layer so that it looks as if its sitting on top of the iPad.

When I import the null-trackers into AE it looks a bit messed up because AE gets no information from a camera, so the trackers are way off of their actual location. After parenting them to an additional null and moving them into position I managed to match them up with the footage.

After that I noticed that my nulls don't show any rotation information allthough they should have and had in Syntheyes. I also tested it by parenting a 3D text layer. The position and scaling is applied, but no rotation.
On the other hand I have 9 trackers, and if I could apply a layer to all those trackers the rotation should be copied to the layer, on which then I could paste teyt layer. But I can't figure out how to do this.

So, my question is, is there a way to easily solve this task with Syntheyes and import it directly into After Effects or do I have to import it into a 3D application first?
Or would it be easyer to track the iPad in After Effects/ Mocha?
Any hints or ideas or even better a tutorial would be a really big help and much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Ruud van GervenRe: Import an object track from Syntheyes into After Effects
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 7:35:39 pm

Hey Nadja,

I don't have experience with exporting tracking data directly into aftereffects. I recommend using cinema4d and export to AE from there, ive made something similar in the past and it worked pretty well.

Grtz Ruud

Return to posts index

Nadja van StiphoutRe: Import an object track from Syntheyes into After Effects
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 9:31:12 am

Hey Ruud, thanks a lot for your response!

I almost thought I have to try it with a 3D application :/
Could u give me a short direction what to do in C4D? I'm not really skilled with this program and maybe it's a really quick thing to do.
Do I have to make a locator or camera or something so after effects can read it?
What exactly changes when I export it from C4D to AE instead of directly doing it from SE to AE?

Greetz Nadja

Return to posts index

Ruud van GervenRe: Import an object track from Syntheyes into After Effects
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:53:15 pm

Hey Nadja!

Your welcome. I've never exported directly from SE to AE so i don't know how that chances from C4D to AE. To be honest i would try to find another tutorial about exporting from SE to AE because thats probably "easyer".

This is how it works (in a nut shell :p ) from SE to C4D to AE:

First you import your footage to SE and do all the tracking to create a scene. SE (Version 2008) doesn't have an export to C4d but no worries, just export to Lightwave and open that file into c4d.

In c4d you are gonna create an object that will function as your ipad text replacement in AE. With use of the tracking points from SE, place a plane and position them at the tracking points so that it moves correctly with the realworld camera.

Add an external compositing tag to your plane layer by right clicking your layer > Cinema4d tags > external compositing. Then enable the checkbox "Solid" and at Size X & Y enter the size of your plane.

The go to render settings and setup your regular save setting. Then go go to Save > "Compositing Project File" field. Enable "save" "Include timline marker" "Include 3D marker" and save your project file.

Now render your file.

Open the blablab.AEC after effects file. Thats about it. In AE open the composition and u can replace the solid layer with your ipad text by dropping it on the solid layer.

Now this is how it should work. I just tested it but had some issues. Im currently on a pc with AE CS5,5 and C4D R13. Tonite im gonna test my c4d r11 version to see if that makes a difference. Ill get back about that later.

I hope my above explination makes any sense haha, and good luck!

Grtz Ruud

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved