Render Stopping sometimes - mac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tompkins
Render Stopping sometimes - mac
on Aug 16, 2012 at 3:16:50 pm

Mac OS 10.7.x
CS6

Sometime when AE is rendering, when I click off and do something else on the comp, AE stops rendering. Very frustrating. Other time not.

Anyone else having this happen?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Render Stopping sometimes - mac
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:54:30 pm

Do you mean

1) Rendering as in a Composition added to the Render Queue

or

2) RAM preview ?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 16, 2012 at 5:29:28 pm

1) Rendering as in a Composition added to the Render Queue

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:54:33 pm

Well, as far as I know AE doesn't render in the background and allow you to keep working. If you render something out, that's all AE can do. If you have Nucleo pro I guess it renders in the background and allow you to continue to work, but I have never used it. When you ram preview it's the same, you can't go work on something else while it ram previews the comp, tha's all it does. I don't know how you got it to let you work while you render, unless it's a less publicized new feature I haven't heard of yet.
-Keith

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:59:22 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "Sometime when AE is rendering, when I click off and do something else on the comp, AE stops rendering. Very frustrating. Other time not."

If you want background rendering, you should either use the new CS6 feature "Cache work area in the background" (under the Composition menu), or check out Lloyd Alvarez's outstanding BG Renderer script (available in Basic [link] and Pro [link] flavors).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:00:53 pm

I think you misunderstand, Minimize or Hide AE app, go to web or email or word or photoshop, while AE is rendering, you don't serve the net or check email while rendering?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:12:29 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "I think you misunderstand, Minimize or Hide AE app, go to web or email or word or photoshop, while AE is rendering, you don't serve the net or check email while rendering?"

Ah, now I understand. When you said "do something else on the comp" -- you were referring to the computer, not the composition. You can't say "comp" around here without confusing us...

Are you getting any error messages? Is it possible that you've accidentally sent a keystroke to AE instead of the other apps you're intending?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:03:20 pm

Actually no, I don't do anything else while my machine renders. It started when I plugged in a MyBook external harddrive and everything went goofy, and then the system went down. I had photoshop, after effects, maya, fcp, soundtrack and safari all open at once and learned my lesson; I'm far less stupid these days. When ae goes, it's using your resources so it's a good idea to let it use what's there and not have other apps using memory, (especially if you don't by ECC memory) I won't even access other drives anymore and when I render in maya, there is no power to use anything else as it takes it all, so it's a no-brainer.
When rendering go have lunch, exercise, get a girl, watch a movie on your tv, play twister, draw, randomly call other countries and order pizza, anything but use the computer and it's resources.
I'm not trying to be mean, I just want you to understand the best thing to do is let ae have it all.
-Keith

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:13:27 pm

[keith mcgregor] "Actually no, I don't do anything else while my machine renders... When ae goes, it's using your resources so it's a good idea to let it use what's there and not have other apps using memory"

I live on the edge. Sometimes I purposefully reduce Ae's memory and multiprocessing settings specifically to leave power available for running other applications.

Sometimes I am more productive doing asset preparation in Ps or Ai while Ae renders in the background with a couple fewer CPU cores than normal than I am watching the render bar. In this case, purposefully reducing Ae's resource usage is key to maintaining responsive performance elsewhere.

Sometimes it's more important to me to get the render done faster, so I'll give Ae everything and use a laptop for email, web, COW, etc.

I'd agree that trying two CPU-intensive things simultaneously on the same machine is not a recipe for success. If I'm rendering in Ae, I am not baking dynamics simulations in C4D.

All in all, the applications I rely on are really stable and I don't have a problem using them concurrently on fire-breathing workstations, as long as I'm smart about what work I do when.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:15:41 pm

Sorry Keith, Can't agree with you.
Been using AE Since 1996. Never had a prob multi-tasking while rendering.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on Aug 16, 2012 at 10:46:21 pm

I know exactly what you are speaking of because it just happened to me yesterday for the first time. Rendering a specific sequence over a minute long, switch to my web browser, a few seconds later I get the Ding that my render is finished(obviously finished way too soon), check the render queue and it says the render completed successfully when it really did not, only about 10-15% actually rendered. I double checked the in/outs and what the duration that was supposed to render and they were set properly. Restarting AE in my case seemed to fix the issue & the sequence rendered fully after.

CS6

Return to posts index

rene hazekamp
similar problem
on Aug 18, 2012 at 11:46:24 am

I didn't even switch programs. I just went home and two hours later i found out that only 10 - 20 % was rendered. Restarting and re-rendering helped though. This never happened before, not in 17 years.

8 core nehalem mac pro 24 gb cs6 osx 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Julius Juul
on Oct 27, 2012 at 3:48:43 pm

Having the same problem, really - REALLY - annoying.
Have tried restarting AE and the computer, seemed to work the first time, but the next time AE f#%^*# me up again.
Rendering a 3 minut comp, only does 7 seconds and then *PE-BLING* AfterEffects is done - "NO YOU ARE NOT!"

Must say this has only happened after I upgraded my AE (to fix the "need more the 2 frames" render issue).
Now I have this new issue.

Who recommends going back to 5.5 ?

Return to posts index

Julius Juul
on Oct 27, 2012 at 3:49:32 pm

Having the same problem, really - REALLY - annoying.
Have tried restarting AE and the computer, seemed to work the first time, but the next time AE f***ed me up again.
Rendering a 3 minut comp, only does 7 seconds and then *PE-BLING* AfterEffects is done - "NO YOU ARE NOT!"

Must say this has only happened after I upgraded my AE (to fix the "need more the 2 frames" render issue).
Now I have this new issue.

Who recommends going back to 5.5 ?

Return to posts index

Matthew Childs
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:01:26 pm

Almost Halloween: a perfect time to resurrect this zombie thread!

Still having this problem ever since the upgrade from 5.5: I'll send a ticket to Adobe but has anyone had any luck with this?

Return to posts index

Scott Robert
on Nov 4, 2014 at 11:30:52 pm

I never had this issue before but it just started on me this summer. It happens quite often now. Restarting fixes issue but I just lost time rendering half the comp. Has anyone found a solution?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]