ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

No reflection from 3d layer (Ray-traced)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger BurtonNo reflection from 3d layer (Ray-traced)
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:55:39 am

Hi chaps, as you can see from the attached the 'talent (this is just a .psd as a placeholder for the moment) has no reflection, yes reflection is turned on and I'm as sure as I can be that it is in the correct position on the 'plinth' ... I've pressed, I think, all the buttons but to no avail ... as you can see the other bits, the walls and plinth reflect correctly ... any advice please.

Interestingly whilst it is (as are all the other elements) a 3d layer, when I drag it around in x, y or z space it doesn't interact with the other layers, I thought this might be because it was a .psd but I tried substituting it for a simple solid.

Thanks as ever for any help.

Roger

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: No reflection from 3d layer (Ray-traced)
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 11:57:17 am

Are there any 2d layers between your .psd and the 'plinth' in the layer stack(like and adjustment layer). That will mess up AE's render order and will cancel out your reflection.

The positions of certain kinds of layers in the layer stacking order in the Timeline panel prevent groups of 3D layers from being processed together to determine intersections and shadows.

A shadow cast by a 3D layer does not affect a 2D layer or any layer that is on the other side of the 2D layer in the layer stacking order. Similarly, a 3D layer does not intersect with a 2D layer or any layer that is on the other side of the 2D layer in the layer stacking order. No such restriction exists for lights.

3D layer interactions, render order, and collapsed transformations

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: No reflection from 3d layer (Ray-traced)
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 12:11:59 pm

Thanks so much John, I thought I'd got my head around layer order problems years ago but didn't think to check that the light I'd slipped in would have that effect, I feel such a fool, I've been concentrating too much on tracking my 'talent' and I only have a small brain that can only work on one problem at a time.

I will read up the link you kindly gave me.

Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]