ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is the GTX 570 worth it?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard WindsorIs the GTX 570 worth it?
by on Aug 15, 2012 at 2:41:15 pm

I am currently running a 2009 Mac Pro with a 5870 GPU. For most basic stuff I do its a fine card, but i am now doing more stuff with camera, depth of field, and 3D inside of AE. I came across the GTX 570 cards from macvidcards on ebay and was wondering if these cards will give me a nice boost when working with stuff in real time in AE. I have an animation that uses Element 3d and when trying to move the camera around it is very slow. Can the GTX 570 help with such things?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Is the GTX 570 worth it?
by on Aug 15, 2012 at 5:31:37 pm

Great thing about plugins like Element is that it works great on any of the 3yrs old and more recent cards. So whatever newer card you can put in your machine you will see a bust in performance.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Is the GTX 570 worth it?
by on Aug 15, 2012 at 6:00:25 pm

Im am running the GTX 570 on my new HP Z820. I am very happy with the systems performance with both PP and AE.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Richard WindsorRe: Is the GTX 570 worth it?
by on Aug 15, 2012 at 6:19:30 pm

Element itself is working ok, I am more talking about performance when working with a camera and more strenuous stuff.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Is the GTX 570 worth it?
by on Aug 15, 2012 at 7:51:03 pm

[Richard Windsor] "Element itself is working ok, I am more talking about performance when working with a camera and more strenuous stuff."

Normal 2D and Classic 3D rendering in After Effects is all on the CPU, and the GPU doesn't factor in at all.

Ae CS6's new ray-tracing renderer is CUDA-accelerated, and greatly benefits from an approved NVIDIA card. Some third-party effects like Sapphire may be CUDA enabled, but others like Optical Flares or Element 3D can also process on the GPU via OpenGL. The Ae interface is also accelerated by OpenGL.

There are some other things you can do besides throwing more hardware at Ae to make it a bit more responsive. See Adobe's excellent Improve Performance page [link] for more.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Greg LeslieRe: Is the GTX 570 worth it?
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:45:44 am

As the others have said, some things will be greatly accelerated, some things will pep up a little. A couple weeks ago I replaced my ATI 5870 with a GTX570 from macvidcards and I've been very pleased. Feels great to put a little new life in an older machine.

The only thing to watch out for is make sure you have the correct model of the 570 -- there are several. The super-clocked version (model 1573) of the card was very crashy in my Mac Pro. You want the 1579, which is stock speed.

Greg Leslie
Tulsa

Return to posts index

Jim MillerRe: Is the GTX 570 worth it?
by on Feb 17, 2013 at 11:02:47 pm

I have been having some problems with the Macvidcard's GTX 570 (2.5GB RAM) with Premiere Pro. It took me a while to see and diagnose the problem, so I'm wondering if you use PPro CS6, and if you have my problem also. Because I haven't ray-traced in AE much, I can't comment on the performance boost.

Basically any keyed layers in PPro and a fade up or down (dissolve) is messed up. Simply put some white text over video and put a 10 frame fade up on it. That would mean the transition would be in 10% increments. Instead I get a pop on the first frame of 38% and a fade up to 100% from there. the opposite happens on fade outs, fade to blacks, etc. If you push the background video off to one side, so the graphics is over part black and part video, the difference is quite visible.

When I turn the GPU off in Projects Settings, the problem goes away, except you have to export your final project in the timeline format, and use preview renders, or else the new renders on export will be screwed up also. This problem has been repeatable in other editing rooms with the same card.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice the problem until after the 60 day return policy. Do you have the same situation that I have? If not, then maybe there is a cure, so far I and some others haven't found it.

Thanks much,
Jim

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Is the GTX 570 worth it?
by on Feb 17, 2013 at 11:17:19 pm

Sounds like just a Mac thing. I have a GTX 570 on my HP Z820 and experience no such issues.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]