ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Compostion Settings for AE Premiere Workflow without overextending my Computer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Becker
Compostion Settings for AE Premiere Workflow without overextending my Computer
on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:23:06 pm

I'm using several Linked Compositions in my Premier timeline and my Mac Pro (8-core 2008, 16GB, Quadro 4000) runs out of steam and even crashes.
Right now I have my comp settings on HDTV 29.97 and that's a too much for my Computer.
Is there a way to work in a lower resolution setting and then change it later for final output?
I'm losing time and the deadline is looming.
Can I just change the resolution settings in the Composition Settings panel and change it back later? Would this help? Right now I'm too scared to make any changes, I worked so hard on the project and don't want to lose anything.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Compostion Settings for AE Premiere Workflow without overextending my Computer
on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:28:08 pm

Instead of using Dynamic Link to put the AE comps in Premiere, can you render the comps in AE, import the clips into premiere and replace the footage? It will cut the processors' work drastically.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Compostion Settings for AE Premiere Workflow without overextending my Computer
on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:26:13 pm

Mr. Becker try to bring the output quality to draft in Premiere pro and quarter in AE for working. This will reduce your ram usage. You can also try to change the "Playback Settings" by clicking on the "Output" button near safe title button in viewer.

I am a keen learner and am very keen on pursuing a career in the animation industry. My artistic skills are mostly self-
taught. I have a deep knowledge base of Photoshop, Maya, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas.

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Aug 14, 2012 at 6:11:44 pm

Do not change the resolution of your composition. It will effect and position values in your transforms and scales.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Aug 14, 2012 at 8:12:03 pm

If your footage is HDV its likely the format that's causing problems in After Effects.

HDV is an MPEG2 format which means it does not contain whole frames of information and has to be transcoded before After Effects can play it back.

After Effects isn't good at dealing with footage that needs on-the-fly transcoding.

As Dave suggested, you're better off rendering the files out of Premiere in an AE friendly format (uncompressed, ProRes, etc) and using these in After Effects.

Premiere can deal with a variety of footage types far better than After Effects can, particularly with the Mercury Playback Engine which uses the CUDA on your Quadro card for the heavy lifting of transcoding. After Effects doesn't use the Mercury Playback Engine.

As the inimitable Mr. LaRonde says:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Return to posts index

Jan Becker
on Aug 15, 2012 at 1:23:47 am

That's great to know. But I'm actually having problems with having linked compositions in Premiere. So far it looks I have to render them out but that kind of defeats the purpose of a linked composition.
I guess I'm going to start saving for the massive Mac Pro update that supposed to happen in 2013. 4K ready. lol

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 15, 2012 at 1:24:53 am

What versions of Ae and Pr?

What kinds of effects in the Ae comps?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]