ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d tracker and green screen talent

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Burton3d tracker and green screen talent
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 12:37:25 pm

Hi chaps - I'm attempting to shoot a presenter on green screen to place them into a very simple virtual reality set. A small refinement might be for me to move the camera or shoot from a couple of angles, is there a technique where I could then track that movement with the new 3d tracker and would it help to put, discreet, markers on the subject or maybe rig some markers adjacent to the model ? Regards Roger

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 3d tracker and green screen talent
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 12:39:31 pm

For easy 3d camera tracking use matte black (or a darker shade of chroma color) markers on the screen and not on the actor.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: 3d tracker and green screen talent
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 12:48:27 pm

Thank you so much Ted ... I'll certainly give that a go, I was a little wary of that technique as I was going to try and get the talent well away from the green screen but I guess there can be a compromise ... Roger

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 3d tracker and green screen talent
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 12:53:38 pm

Another thing that can help you is to write down the camera distance to the subject, height, lens angle and sensor/film size. Helps in post when you build your 3d set.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2012 at 12:58:50 pm

Great tip - thanks again ... sounds like it's going to be fun !

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: 3d tracker and green screen talent
by on Aug 14, 2012 at 10:08:46 am

I'll add to what Ted has already mentioned -
1) ensure that your camera movement creates sufficient parallax for a camera solve. otherwise, your only option is a 2D track.

2) ensure that you place markers in 3D space - ie do not place all of your markers onto the same z-space area. place markers onto props that are spread out in z-space.

3) always block your shots first to ensure you know where to place your markers, to allow for their easy removal (ideally by garbage matting or keying)

Here's a tutorial on placing tracking markers - look for the clip entitled "How to place tracking markers"
http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/vfx_sampleclips.html

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2012 at 10:42:11 am

Thanks Roland, excellent advice, I'll check that link out.

Roger

Return to posts index

by on Aug 15, 2012 at 3:38:51 pm

OK - I'm totally screwing this up - if anyone can point me in the right direction for tutorials I'd be grateful ... I've watched several but they're not specific enough and I think I'm missing something ... I've built a simple VR set, before I shoot the talent I downloaded a bit of footage with markers from that site you recommended Roland ... a short camera move around a model ... I've tracked it and created a camera but when I drop the keyed model and the camera into my VR comp the camera move (created from the 3d tracker) is far too violent, it's starts way off set to the left and swings way over off set to the right ... a real whip-pan ... I must be approaching this in the wrong way ... any advice please.

Here's the VR set to give you a little more idea:

and here's a link to the footage: http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/greenscreenplates.html

I used the first one !

Thanks as ever - Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]