ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

lock mask point to position of another animated layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Owen Williamslock mask point to position of another animated layer
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 11:32:07 am

Hey CreativeCow sorts, hope you can help me out.

I feel like there must be an easier way to do this than the options I've come across so far (with which I've yet to have any good results). Here is my basic question with some detail underneath if it's of interest:

How do I lock a mask point to the position of an animated property?

We're working on a music video which will involve a big star map. The stars that make up the map will be gently travelling along their orbits (rotation defined by a null layer to which several of them will be parent/child linked). We want a line (a la Indian Jones) to travel from one star to another and stay connected to it then move on to the next star, creating a big tangle of lines joining all the stars once the music video ends.

I'm currently putting a quick test together with three stars and a 3 point mask with a stroke moving along it. I want to lock the points of the mask to the stars, so that no matter where we chose to rotate the stars to the line that's travelling between them all will always follow.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I've just managed to get this 'connect vertex to point' script working pretty well - well enough anyway. Can't do do any 3D connecting of points though, sadly. It's quite straight forward to implement, but I still feel like there must be an easier way to achieve this...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved