ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic LumiereCS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 5:50:25 pm

What would you guys recommend? Upgrade to Production Premium CS6 with the cloud or without?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: CS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 5:57:55 pm

I think it's a question of finances as well as much as it is a question of software. Cloud seems the better option, although it's still a unusual way of dealing with software purchasing and upgrading. For the company I work in, it is actually a better solution, since budgets are done way in advance and getting approval for an upgrade takes eons sometimes. So I love the fact that I can put down a monthly amount that will keep my software up to date and I do not have to jump through hoops every time a new version comes out.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: CS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 6:52:15 pm

In my case, I'm the one paying for the software and the Production Premium Suite upgrade was less than 12 months of the Cloud.

The Cloud works well, several of my colleagues have gone that route, its really a matter of which will cost you less.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: CS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 10:06:30 pm

With me it's a matter of wondering when the cloudburst will occur. I just like having a set of disks around. I can fix anything that goes wrong in a pretty short space of time, and don't have to worry about whether my connection is up and running.

That said, it may well be that there's a way around the cloud connection if your internet isn't working. I can't imagine that the software would just shut off if you aren't connected. So maybe it is just a matter of which financial model fits your business.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: CS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?
by on Aug 12, 2012 at 1:15:53 am

Ditto what Joe said.

Clouds are in the sky.

I like to have control of my software right here on earth in my edit bay.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Steven L. GotzRe: CS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?
by on Aug 12, 2012 at 6:07:46 am

Yikes!

You guys, the Creative Cloud is NOT cloud based! Adobe used the name because it is the hot, new, sexy word. That's it. Really. I swear!

It is a download only software distribution system. You download and install in pretty much the same way as you always did. If you think that the Internet (and Adobe along with it) is going to do down at the very moment your hard drive fails - the drive you forgot to back up, then I suggest you back up your drives rather than worry about the confluence of events that could actually cause you a problem.

If you want, it will tell you it wants to upgrade your software, and you can tell it no if you are in the middle of a project. Or you can say yes, now is a good time.

The decision should be strictly financial with some wish fulfillment thrown in. If you upgrade every time a new suite comes out, or you buy cameras that require upgrades to your software between releases, then it might make sense. Get out a calculator. Admittedly the numbers work better if you normally get the Master Collection.

So, here is a question for you. Are there Adobe programs you only need once in a while but can't justify buying them? Well, that's over for me. No more wishing. For a mere $50 per month (less the first year) I can have it all. I have finally started using Dreamweaver, and I want to give Muse a try. Lightroom might come in handy every couple of months. So might Acrobat. Or Fireworks.

But sticking to the numbers, how much is your upgrade? Divide by $50 even though it is less for a year. Obviously it is better to upgrade instead of subscribing to the Creative Cloud. Unless you need other programs. Unless you need constant upgrades because you stay on the bleeding edge of technology. Unless you could save money moving your web site hosting over to Adobe (bring your own Domain).

Basically, I like the Creative Cloud idea. For me. For now. You? Well, that's up to you, your wallet, your habits and your needs (and wishes).

Steven

http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: CS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?
by on Aug 12, 2012 at 1:49:07 pm

Steven -

No matter where it exists, cloud, server at Adobe, if it's not on a disk on my desk, it might as well be on Mars. I understand your point, and I love the pricing, but my business pays for me to own the entire CS6 Master Collection...right here, right on my desk. It's a choice, to be sure. My choice is the more secure one for me.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?
by on Aug 14, 2012 at 3:20:14 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "No matter where it exists, cloud, server at Adobe, if it's not on a disk on my desk, it might as well be on Mars. I understand your point, and I love the pricing, but my business pays for me to own the entire CS6 Master Collection...right here, right on my desk. It's a choice, to be sure. My choice is the more secure one for me."

For clarity, with Adobe Creative Cloud, you download the desktop apps and run them locally from your computer. You are not running the applications remotely from Adobe servers. They do automatically check in with Adobe servers every 30 days (behind the scenes) for re-activation. If you wanted to, you can run them on a computer that's usually disconnected from the Internet and only connect when prompted by the software for reactivation. If you leave the computer connected to the Internet, you will enter your Adobe ID once, then not have to enter it again, as reactivation will occur automatically without any user invervention as long as you remain subscribed.

Those discs on your desk are still dependent on Adobe's activation servers at installation, so the difference may not be that great.

That said, perpetual licensing is the right choice for some and Creative Cloud for others. I'm glad to have the option.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: CS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?
by on Aug 12, 2012 at 1:41:44 pm

Steven Im sure you can appreciate I was speaking metaphorically :P Use what you like! And I shall do the same.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Frederic LumiereRe: CS5.5 Production Premium to CS 6 - Cloud or no cloud?
by on Aug 12, 2012 at 2:33:07 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. So I decided to go for the cloud. As I understand it, it's more like a subscription to the Adobe software than it is a 'cloud'. The software installs locally and can be run without an internet connection.

Basically you agree to pay Adobe a monthly fee moving forward in exchange for having access to the latest versions of all their production software (more than the production premium suite). Also, it facilitates moving software from one machine (cross platform) to the next under your subscription.

Since we owned production premium CS 5.5 licenses, it's only $30 per month per user (2 computers per, one at a time) for the next year (offer expires at the end of the month).

Considering how much upgrades have cost in the past and how frequent they have been, it's a good deal for us. Also, it gives us access to all the web dev software we didn't have before since we had the production premium. Finally we can always add a seat of AE or Photoshop or any other software for only a couple months if needed.

Great move on Adobe!

Thanks all for the help.

F

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]