ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Editing Software for round tripping with AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic Lumiere
Best Editing Software for round tripping with AE?
on Aug 11, 2012 at 2:03:36 pm

We're starting a new massive project which will involve 9 full size theater screens in a 360 configuration.

We're using AE for the assembly and the finishing but we are still trying to evaluate the best editing tool to use in this project. We can use any (FCP, AVID, Premiere Pro). Easy round tripping with AE is our main consideration.

Anyone has recommendations?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: Best Editing Software for round tripping with AE?
on Aug 11, 2012 at 2:28:01 pm

CS6 is designed to allow you to have dynamic links from clips on the Premiere Pro timeline to After Effects compositions. Its the fastest way to interactively cut a sequences then send whatever you want from the timeline to AE .

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 11, 2012 at 2:28:23 pm

The easy answer would be Premiere as you have the ability to dynamically link between the two applications.

Here's a link that explains it in further detail:
Adobe Dynamic Link

The second consideration, what software are you most comfortable. Me, I'm an Avid editor, so I would make it work with Avid.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Aug 11, 2012 at 5:10:10 pm

What's your preferred method of going back and forth between MC and AE Johnny?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 11, 2012 at 6:04:21 pm

90% of my work will be a single shot, so I'll export from the Avid same as source, work in AE and render to one of the Avid Codecs. I use this method because my Avid and my fastest AE system aren't on the same machine. This also frees up the Avid system if another editor needs to use it.

Occasionally I'll get to use the pro-import though. The other day I had to convert a cuts only + titles project into Japanese. So I used the AAF export, used pro import and had everything perfectly placed. Just had to change my english titles I created in Avid to Japanese titles--- Avid wouldn't work with the Japanese fonts correctly. Finally I rendered out just the titles to one long Avid DNxHD 145 with alpha, dropped into the sequence and was done.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 11, 2012 at 5:53:08 pm

Premiere is the best integrated editing software with AE- with CS6 you get also audio editing and color correction/grading, plus asset management in Bridge and compression with Encoder.
I use them on all of my projects for years now and have had great results. I did use Avid, Media 100, Edit and Fire before and no workflow was as tight as Premiere - AE, except maybe the one between Flame and Fire.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Aug 11, 2012 at 8:50:57 pm

Mr. Lumiere

Its better to go with Adobe Premiere Pro as it can import the AE project files with all Effects and marker points.

The best part is it also creates a Dynamic Link with AE.

Say you have a Footage in Premiere Pro time line, Right Click on it and select "Replace With After Effects Composition". Now whatever effect you will apply in AE it will make it available in Premiere Pro without rendering the footage in AE. It saves a lot of time.

It also has a unique feature that it recognize the dialogue being spoken in audio tracks using "Transcript" and will export it for AE. THis will help to sync you visual element with audio.

I am a keen learner and am very keen on pursuing a career in the animation industry. My artistic skills are mostly self-
taught. I have a deep knowledge base of Photoshop, Maya, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas.

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Aug 12, 2012 at 6:30:43 am

So, what all these people are telling you is that there is no round tripping between Premiere Pro and After Effects. Not really. You go back and forth, your video never really does. It just links back and forth to the original media and effects.

That means no degradation at all. None. Because there is no exporting.

Perhaps that will help you make your decision.

Steven

http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 14, 2012 at 3:02:09 am

Other plusses for Premiere Pro for a project of this nature: its maximum frame size is 10,240×8,192, and it supports image sequences as footage.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]