ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Reduce source files changes layer position in comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shirak Agresta
Reduce source files changes layer position in comp
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:04:14 pm

I've got a 7500x6000 layered Photoshop file as my source file, imported into AE as a Composition - cropped layers.

The file is causing me problems during rendering with my limited RAM. I wanted to just reduce the size of the Photoshop file, but when I do and re-open my AE scene, the layers are in different places.

Is this because they're cropped layers? I kept the same aspect ratio, so it seems to me that it shouldn't really matter, but I am using them as 3D layers in AE.

Any thoughts/solutions/head shaking?

Thanks.

Julius Caesar and the Roman Empire couldn't conquer the blue sky.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Reduce source files changes layer position in comp
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:14:02 pm

There are a bunch of things I'd had to know to give you hints on what to do...but without seeing what kind of transformations and parenting you have on your project I can't say any. They are moving because you're changing their size and thus their anchor points.

On the other hand...can't you just rescale your composition within AE? (scripts->scale composition)
to solve in some extent that ram problem?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 10, 2012 at 12:42:55 am

[Cassius Marques] "can't you just rescale your composition within AE? (scripts->scale composition)
to solve in some extent that ram problem?"

That procedure will resize the comp and scale the layers but the original file will still be accessed by AE.

I don't know of an automated way with which to replace all the high rez layers. Re-saving in PS or creating a proxy in AE is part of the solution. THereafter, you will have to replace the layers one at a time.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:11:33 pm

That is a huge file. Did you also keep the full resolution instead of reducing to 72 pixels pre inch? AE doesn't care about dpi at all, so it doesn't really matter if it's above 72. That's where the real memory drain appears (from my experience) so do that and create a new project and redo it. If you import the original project into the new one you can use it as a guide to quickly rebuild it.

I don't think the cropped layers option is the problem, If they are precomped then you should be able to re-center them in the pre's and the other comps shouldn't change position, but they will be reduced in size causing it to seem as if they have moved, when they just scaled down. If your precomps are the size of the original and you are outputting to a smaller resolution, then unless you are scaling up to 300% there's really no reason for the giant file dimensions. Then again, I don't know what kind of animation/transformation/effects you are doing.
Hope this helps.
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]