ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Reduce Adjustment Layer and a Layer on a single Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Sowa
Reduce Adjustment Layer and a Layer on a single Layer
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:17:38 pm

I ran into a issue with exporting EXR from AE with the plugin ProEXR.
It s not supporting adjustment layers but we got a lot of comps with adj layers in it.

Actually we are working with Nuke and just want to open the delievered projects and render them out als layers into EXR files.
Thats working, but not with adjustment layers. During Export they are just ignored.

So i need a function like "bake layers" or "reduce layers" on a layer. For exemple take the adjustment layer and the layer underneath and put it in a "subcomp" but when i do this, my adjustment layer is not working correctly anymore because the size doesnt match to the size of the layer below.
In the screenshot you can see the basic setup of the projects. I just need to get rid of the adjustment layers and only have "real" layers or compositions left.... So that the ProEXR Plugin can handel it.

http://www.dritimage.de/uploads/bilder/13445272225_screenshot_cropped.png

Anyone an hint how i could achieve that?
Any help is really welcome, because im not that into AE :-(

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Reduce Adjustment Layer and a Layer on a single Layer
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:43:51 pm

did you precompose(moving all attributes) every layer affected by your adjustments... and duplicated the adjustments to inside each one?

I'm not following what's the difference in size before and after what you're trying.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:52:02 pm

[Cassius Marques] "I'm not following what's the difference in size before and after what you're trying."

Adjustment layer 1 (layer 4) is 3D. I suspect that's what's causing the problem.

Can you demote that layer to 2D?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:00:25 pm

I meant the "bake" he is looking for is something manual... all he has to do is duplicate everything affecting some layer to that layer's newly precomposed composition (including cameras)... everything should look the same in the parent comp.

On the other hand I've never used that plugin...and I'm assuming "default" effects are being used...not something that relies on multiple layer's alpha channels. On that case...apply the effect on the composition itself and forget the adjustment layers.

Return to posts index

Brendan Bolles
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:37:27 pm

It's true, ProEXR for AE can't store the adjustment layers, which of course could be any effect(s) AE has, so not really possible to store it in the EXR file.

What you should do is render the image layers as you're doing, build the comp in Nuke, and then manually add nodes in Nuke where the adjustment layers are, trying to duplicate them. Depending on which filters you used, this could be hard or it could be easy. If this is going to be your workflow, maybe just use the adjustment layers as a rough preview and do the real tweaking in Nuke.

It's not generally possible to "bake" adjustment layers in AE because an adjustment layer effects everything below it. If you had one adjustment layer in the middle, you could pre-comp to bake it with everything below and leave the other layers separate, but in your comp the top-most adjustment layer only has two other layers above it.

Brendan

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 9, 2012 at 11:24:31 pm

The only way I can think of to preserve the effects from the adjustment layers while eliminating them from the composition would be to copy/paste the effects on each adjustment layer to all layers below them.

To get the same result you have to make sure that the effect ordering reflects the adjustment layer ordering. Start from the bottom of the stack and work your way up.

Copy all effects on the bottom most adjustment layer, select all layers below it and paste. Delete that adjustment layer. Copy all effects on the new bottom most adjustment layer, select all layers below it and paste, etc.

Come to think of it, this seems like something a script could do pretty well, not sure if that exists yet.

Your mileage may vary when blending modes get involved.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Chris Sowa
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:40:04 am

Thank you all for your very fast and great help.

I guess i found the problem now.
You have to copy the camera into the precomp.
I m rendering moment and see in an hour if it works and compare it with the reference.

Thank s again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]