ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

cursive fonts in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierre Paré-Blais
cursive fonts in after effects
on Aug 9, 2012 at 4:55:11 pm

Hello all

I'm having some headaches over some cursive font I have to use in a motion design piece. Basically the illustrator art I'm using as some text in it that uses Bickham script pro. It looks great in AI but when I bring in the layers in AE it looks terrible, breaking up, even with the continuous rasterize on. I've tried also bringing in the text using the method AI to PS to AE to editable text, and it's the same thing. And if I just create new text in AE using the same font it breaks up and on top looks worst because I lose the true cursive look that AI and PS give me.

Now I understand this is probably due to the 72dpi resolution of video not being high enough. But still isn't there some way of making this look good? I mean I've seen cursive used in movie titles and they don't break up... Bickham is a pretty standard use design font that I like for that cursive look, but maybe there's another font that would work better with video resolution?

thanks!

Pierre P. Blais
Multimedia performance and VFX artist
Pierre P. Blais Productions
Perception Films
http://www.vimeo.com/user1771129

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: cursive fonts in after effects
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:26:41 pm

Hi Pierre, do you think if you post a SS...I would be able to see this difference your seeing? I've used this fonts before and never once I saw any difference. I though both softwares would rasterize fonts in the same way...

I'm very curious about what you see breaking up.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:30:38 pm

Yeah, I have also used this font with no issues. What resolution is your comp? Check that the comp viewer window is set to 100% zoom and full resolution and that the Aspect Ratio Correction is not on and that your layer is not set to draft mode. Try it in a different comp, a different project, etc. and see if the problem persists. If so, could you provide more details about your project?

Return to posts index

Pierre Paré-Blais
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:05:11 pm

Thank you both, your simple remarks have help narrow down the issue I'm seeing. when I put my comp viewer to 100% and full resolution (the 100% was the key here), the fonts look fine on my computer display, So all is well, the font is not the issue you were right, simple mistake I should've known this. however on my broadcast monitor things keep looking jagged, and it is displaying HD 1080i60 10-bit from my my decklink (1080i60 is what I will be delivering for broadcast). Am I not to trust what AE sends to my ref monitor?

just to give more details, the comp is Hd 1080 29.97.

Pierre P. Blais
Perception Films

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:16:04 pm

I have a decklink hooked to a broadcast monitor and just checked this. If you're on a Mac, go to the system preferences>black magic design and uncheck "remove field jitter when video is paused". That got rid of the jagged edges for me.

Return to posts index

Pierre Paré-Blais
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:34:16 pm

and that got rid of it for me as well!
thanks.

Pierre P. Blais
Perception Films

Return to posts index