ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

looking for a few effects for my Flash+AE animation: dust, lights & particles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Volkov
looking for a few effects for my Flash+AE animation: dust, lights & particles
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:37:28 pm

Hi

I am looking for a few effects that could give me the result that I want for my project. I have a 3D scene consisting of several 2D elements (back/middle/fore-ground). I will add a camera and make a parallax effect by panning it from one side to another creating the illusion of depth (foreground moves faster than all others, middleground moves a bit slower and background is the slowest).

I would like to add a few effect to the scene, but I am not sure which combination of effects to use. What I have is a scene taking place in a dungeon or a catacomb. It's a room with pillars, torches and dust. I would like to make a nice spooky ambience atmosphere. I was thinking of a crack in the ceiling through which lights from the surface comes through and that little beam of light illuminates the dust (or particles) inside the dungeon.

Torches: I want to make a small spots of light that come from torches that slightly wiggle around. How do I make it? Maybe a feathered circle shape with a glow filter attached to it?

Dust: I assume that CC Particle world is what I must use here but I am not sure. All suggestions are welcome.

Lightbeam: This lightbeam that comes from the crack could be something like this http://www.gamersbin.com/attachments/f137/7514d1312246074-blessed-paladin-d...

Ambient Light: overall this must add to the atmosphere but I am not sure either how to add that effect.

If anyone has a few suggestions which effect names to use for particular of these aspects, I would be very greatful. I've tried searching the net for some tutorials but I would like to make a little research regarding simplicity VS effect. If anyone has any suggestions for other effects for this sort of workflow, please write them as well. This animation will be the result of integration of Flash+AE together but I don't have much practical experience within After Effects so all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Joost van Doremalen
Re: looking for a few effects for my Flash+AE animation: dust, lights & particles
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:35:56 pm

For the volumetric light beams you could search the net for 'god rays', I think that's what they are normally called.

Return to posts index

Alex Volkov
Re: looking for a few effects for my Flash+AE animation: dust, lights & particles
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:54:24 pm

Thanks so far. I will look into it. By the way by a serendipitous "mistake" I've succeeded creating an awesome effect for the torch light by using those two effects: CC Radial Blur and CC Light Rays. I just need to find out how I make my Solid transparent. Can anyone please tell me?

Also I would be extremely greatful for any simple suggestions for combinations of specific effects, just like I've written earlier, to achieve the results that I'm looking for.

For instance. How do I create a simple shape (a little circle for example) and make it emanate a beam of animatable light? I found a "god light" tutorial that applies to text, but I just want the light to come from a specific point or an object.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Aug 13, 2012 at 7:18:18 pm

AE doesn't do this on it's own. AE is not a 3d application. Nor does it do volume (I don't know cs6 so maybe they added it?) all of us are content to fake it. I would use a solid with a heavily feathered mask on it and try to add some perspective to the shape of the mask.
All really great things are achieved with time, patience and third party effects. Trapcode probably has what you are looking for so check out http://www.videocopilot.net/ and watch the tuts and check out his plugins. Then go here and check out theirs: http://www.trapcode.com/products/ then decide if you want to purchase or if you can simulate it enough to fool the average american (pretty easy if you ask me).
Enjoy!
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]