animation curves query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brett
animation curves query
on Aug 6, 2012 at 2:57:04 pm

Original thread = http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/921960

Hi -

- having problems with setting animation curves and have trawled the archives and read previopus posts in this thread ( as above )but I'm still having problems.

The temporal display ( when you click on the graph button ) does not make sense to me and being a bit of a newbie I cant see how to get the spatial display up either.

....spent a couple of hours just trying to get a simple motion path sorted and still cant see any meaningful relationship between the graph display and the finished result.....

Like the original poster I have good experience of the Flame/ Flint interface which allows very fine finesses in seconds and also where the graph display matched what you would expect in the comp.

I reckon the problem must be that I just have not worked it out yet so if someone can give me a few more clues or point to a training video or something I would be very grateful.

Chris Brett / U K

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: animation curves query
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:22:23 pm

You say you'd like a video tutorial? Here's one from a few years back:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/mylenium/graph_editor.php

Fortunately, the principles of using the Graph Editor haven't changed much, although the look of the AE user interface has changed a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:34:35 pm

[chris brett] "The temporal display ( when you click on the graph button ) does not make sense to me"

The Graph Editor [link] can show either a value graph (plotting the values themselves over time) or a speed graph (plotting the rate of change of the underlying value over time). AE will auto-select the type for you based on the property you're modifying, but you can override this and select whichever you prefer by clicking the Graph Type and Options button (looks like this: [image]).

[chris brett] "being a bit of a newbie I cant see how to get the spatial display up either."

A layer's motion path [link] are visible in the comp viewer panel when that layer is selected, if View > Layer Controls is set to on and if View > View Options has Motion Paths checked (which it does by default).

There are some additional options governing how much of each motion path should be displayed in Preferences > Display > Motion Path.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:35:19 pm

Hi Dave and Walter

Thank-you both very much for your replies.

I'll check them both out in detail tomorrow --- should be enough there for me to get it I think....

..... for me the loss of the FFI motion curve control is the hardest thing, so far, to compensate for when moving over to AE but hopefully when I get my head round it things will seem just as good...

Best regards

Chris Brett / U K

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:33:54 pm

If you are having problems to understand the graph with position property. Click on the 'Separate Dimension' button which you will find in graph editor with other buttons(having x,y & z symbols). It will make your curves easy to understand.

I am a keen learner and am very keen on pursuing a career in the animation industry. My artistic skills are mostly self-
taught. I have a deep knowledge base of Photoshop, Maya, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]