ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing frame by frame flash animation (masked) to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jane HarrisImporting frame by frame flash animation (masked) to AE
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 12:25:15 pm

Hey,

I have a detailed frame by frame animation that I will be creating in Flash, I then want to do something like mask that character with video in After effects, so the character is essentially filled with moving video.

What settings should I create the animation in Flash for HD video? And how do I import this movie symbol as a mask into AE so that the frame by frame acts as a mask.

Should I set the frame rate in flash or AE? And also what are the best settings for AE (for HD) in preparation for the vector?

I have used Flash to do similar things before, but it's limited in exporting vector as video.

I am aiming to use similar techniques to oculart.com - masked moving shapes with video inside. Are there any other techniques used in this stuff I should know about?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Importing frame by frame flash animation (masked) to AE
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 5:51:20 am

[Jane Harris] "I have a detailed frame by frame animation that I will be creating in Flash, I then want to do something like mask that character with video in After effects, so the character is essentially filled with moving video."

Will any of the character itself be visible, or should it be nothing but video in AE?

As the character moves, should the underlying video move with it, or should the character reveal different portions of the underlying video as it moves across the screen?

[Jane Harris] "What settings should I create the animation in Flash for HD video? And how
do I import this movie symbol as a mask into AE so that the frame by frame acts as a mask."

Depends on the HD format. HD can be 1280x720 at frame rates of 23.976, 24.0, 50, or 59.94 frames per second, or 1920x1080 at 23.976, 24.0, 25.0, 29.97, 50, or 59.94. 720 is always progressive, but 1080 can be either interlaced or progressive.

[Jane Harris] "And how do I import this movie symbol as a mask into AE so that the frame by frame acts as a mask."

You need not use it as a mask -- you can use an image's alpha (transparency) or luma (brightness) as a track matte [link].

[Jane Harris] "I have used Flash to do similar things before, but it's limited in exporting vector as video."

Older versions of Flash could export EPS sequences -- this was pretty useful for getting vector animations into AE. If I recall correctly, this was removed sometime around CS4.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Claire SmithRe: Importing frame by frame flash animation (masked) to AE
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:31:17 am

The video should fill the character. Initially I want the video to be static, but later on I wouldn't mind exploring video moving with the character.

How does the alpha transparency work with a frame by frame symbol? And how do export this from Flash then import into AE? I wanted to avoid the fuzzy edges that may be associated with bitmaps....

Excuse the ignorance! I'm not very familiar with AE. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Importing frame by frame flash animation (masked) to AE
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:26:49 am

[Claire Smith] "How does the alpha transparency work with a frame by frame symbol?"

If you export a PNG sequence from Flash [link], you should be able to use a transparent background.

[Claire Smith] "I wanted to avoid the fuzzy edges that may be associated with bitmaps...."

If you can work in Flash and/or export at the same resolution you'll be using in AE (probably 1920x1080 for HD), you won't have any problems with fuzzy bitmaps, because you won't be scaling the image up and forcing the computer to interpolate pixels.

[Claire Smith] "Excuse the ignorance! I'm not very familiar with AE. Thanks for the help!"

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

I especially recommend the Video Copilot "Basic Training" series that Todd links to.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]