ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

LaCie 1TB Little Big Disk and cache media and memory ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger BurtonLaCie 1TB Little Big Disk and cache media and memory ?
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 8:03:00 am

Continuing my search for some cost effective (ie cheap) performance improvement with the new features of CS6 I'm considering the LaCie 1TB Little Big Disk but am confused by how this sort of thing works.

It has two 500gb sata drives preconfigured raid '0' ... can I use the 2 drives separately (or do I want to) one for media and one for memory cache or do I need to configure them differently (Raid 1) ... also in prefs there are two Conformed media cache options 'Database' and 'Cache' ... they can be on the same drive I guess ... I hope I'm not being too naive here. Regards Roger

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: LaCie 1TB Little Big Disk and cache media and memory ?
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 5:36:55 am

[Roger Burton] "It has two 500gb sata drives preconfigured raid '0' ... can I use the 2 drives separately (or do I want to) one for media and one for memory cache or do I need to configure them differently (Raid 1) ... also in prefs there are two Conformed media cache options 'Database' and 'Cache' ... they can be on the same drive I guess ... I hope I'm not being too naive here."

The global performance cache reads and writes lots of little files. This should perform noticeably better on a RAID 0 set (which spreads writes across multiple drives) than on a single disk.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: LaCie 1TB Little Big Disk and cache media and memory ?
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 5:51:07 am

As ever thanks Walter, am I ok keeping media on the same drive ?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:26:52 am

Forgive me, Roger, but could your refresh my memory about your system specs and the sort of work you're doing?

[Roger Burton] "As ever thanks Walter"

You're welcome!

[Roger Burton] "am I ok keeping media on the same drive ?"

It will work, but it's not the ideal for performance. AE's disk cache in particular really benefits from a fast, dedicated drive due to the high number of random reads and writes. I keep mine on a dedicated SSD and it flies.

This is the sort of thing you can always add later, though, so I'd start with a drive for media first. and SSDs are expensive, so if you're looking for the most cost effective option, you can add things like this incrementally -- worry about improving your cache flow after you worry about improving your cash flow :)

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:40:13 am

Like that - cache and cash .... very good.

I'm a light AE user - I get half a dozen jobs a year mainly short training videos for on-line viewing, very little hd broadcast work but when that comes along my new iMac (16Gb ram) struggles a bit, the performance is fine but sometimes slow, and, in fact there's little video to import, it's mainly graphics - I think what I'm saying is I'm OK most of the time but as CS6 has offered the opportunity to speed things up with an external drive maybe I should take advantage, the LaCie has pretty good speed reports even compared with Elgato's thunderbolt ssd but with the advantage of some more space (1tb as opposed to 120gb), and it's cheaper !

Best Roger

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:16:19 am

[Roger Burton] "Like that - cache and cash .... very good."

Thank you. I was embarrassingly proud of myself for that terrible little play on words.

[Roger Burton] "the performance is fine but sometimes slow, and, in fact there's little video to import, it's mainly graphics"

Then I would probably lean toward a smaller, faster SSD for the cache than a larger, slower mechanical HDD for media.

[Roger Burton] "I think what I'm saying is I'm OK most of the time but as CS6 has offered the opportunity to speed things up with an external drive maybe I should take advantage, the LaCie has pretty good speed reports even compared with Elgato's thunderbolt ssd but with the advantage of some more space (1tb as opposed to 120gb), and it's cheaper !"

AE's disk cache relies on lots of little files, the speed of sustained throughput is not as important as the speed of random access.

That said, the El Gato SSD's transfer speed does seem a bit anemic, and I can't say for sure which drive would perform better. It doesn't seem like there are very many Thunderbolt SSD options at the moment, either.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2012 at 9:04:52 am

Good of you, no there doesn't appear to be a lot of choice in the market for TB ssds there are a few 'adapters' around with and without daisy chaining ability (that's another thing against the Elgato ... only one hole)!

I'll do a little more homework on speed comparisons before I make my my move but your advice has certainly helped me understand more what I should be looking for, thanks again Walter.

Enjoy your week.

Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]