ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text around a globe

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gib O'ConnorText around a globe
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 12:00:46 am

I know how to rotate text, but i don't get it to rotate around a globe or earth. It only rotates in front of the round object, can't get it rotating around it. Can any 1 help me out here ? Thanks guys :)

Gib :)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Text around a globe
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 12:52:09 am

There are probably a few ways to do this. But here is one method.

Step 1: Set your globe/earth layer to 3d. Add your text layer. Change the mask tool to circular, start from the center of your globe, press shift + cntl and make a mask on your text layer a bit larger than the globe---the diameter should be how far away you want your text to orbit the earth/globe.

Step 2: Twirl open your text and under the animate flyout choose "Enable Per-character 3d". Twirl down text and open up "Path Options" and choose Mask 1. Press "Shift+R" for rotation and rotate the text layer -90 degrees on the x-axis. Move back to your text animators and select Animate -> Rotation. For Animator 1, change the X Rotation to 90 degrees.

03 Final: Go back to the "Path Options" and use "First Margin" to rotate the text around your object. Add some lights, shadows to taste.

Here's my work project, so you can see what I did, hope it helps you out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Gib O'ConnorRe: Text around a globe
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 10:54:09 am

Thank you John, that was cool ! And only a few steps to do it :) But, now my text rotates around from left to right, how do i reverse that and make it go from right to left ?
And, can i make a 2nd text rotating on the globe a bit lower or higher ? And how do i make it rotate faster (speed)
Thanks again m8 :)

Gib :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved