ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video Artifacts on playback

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris RicciVideo Artifacts on playback
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 11:30:28 am

Hello,

I am getting video artifacts when I render out some projects from AE. They show up on areas of motion. It seems to happen most when I start editing with a template.

I have tried making everything the same size and exporting as individual frames, avi etc but I still get the artifact on playback.

What version of After Effects? CS6 11.0.0.378

Have you installed the recent updates? Yes

What operating system? Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

What kind(s) of source footage?
.MOV 1920x1088 36195 kbs 30 fps
JPGs 1272 x 972

I don't know how to tell the original codec

If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)? NONE

What were you doing when the problem occurred? Nothing
Has this ever worked before? Yes but not with this footage or another project too.
What other software are you running? Creative Cloud
Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? NO

Tell us about your computer hardware. Lots of external drives. USB 3.0
AMD IIx4 830 2.8ghz
6 gig RAM

Do you have any third-party I/O hardware NO

Are you using OpenGL features in After Effects? How do I tell?

Does the problem only happen with your final output, RAM preview, or both? Final Output

Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing? NO

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Video Artifacts on playback
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 12:04:26 pm

[Chris Ricci] "I am getting video artifacts when I render out some projects from AE"

So, not all comps render with this glitch?

Have you tried rendering to an uncompressed CODEC? Try different formats - AVI, QT, Image Sequences. If the renders are long, then identify a segment for the test renders.

If the renders done as per the para above are faulty as well then there might be an issue with the source footage. You can read additional metadata of your source footage by selecting it with a click+ALT combo selection - the CODEC information will appear in the Project Panel.

BTW, you'll do well to post a JPG of the glitch.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Chris RicciRe: Video Artifacts on playback
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 4:38:11 pm

That's the other crazy part. I can't print screen it. I just tried for 15 minutes. It looks fine at rest. It is only when it moves?!?!?

I tried uncompress AVI and Image sequence. This is what the image looks like without the error.

pic.jpg

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2012 at 9:53:07 pm

After 50 tries I can see this line. This is only minor to what comes up. Can someone please offer some solution?

artifacts.jpg

Return to posts index

Thomas LeongRe: Video Artifacts on playback
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 3:49:07 am

Looks like "video tearing" -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

Return to posts index

by on Aug 4, 2012 at 9:59:12 pm

thanks Thomas!

I am reminded of the Tommy Boy line "now that we've identified the problem, how do we fix it?"

I updated all my software and video driver. If I play the video on other computers I get it too. Any ideas? I looked at SA COLOR FINESSE 3
and the BROADCAST COLOR filter to fix with no success but I could be using them incorrectly.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Video Artifacts on playback
by on Aug 5, 2012 at 1:44:21 am

Are the errors consistently on the same frames? I have a feeling that the problem resides in the source material, within a field. When viewed via frame mode, you won't see it but when rendered with fields, the problem appears.

There is a smaller chance that it could be a memory issue if it's not a field/source issue. Try rebooting and start rendering as soon as you launch AE - just to ensure that memory isn't used up by prior AE activity. Of course don't launch other apps etc while this is rendering - again, only if it's likely to be a memory issue.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Thomas LeongRe: Video Artifacts on playback
by on Aug 5, 2012 at 4:15:14 am

Chris,

If I read you correctly, it is only visible on playback, but not as a still frame (pause mode)? If so, this would mean it is not present in the file, but surfaces only during playback. Then it is very likely merely a timing issue between the graphics card and the refresh rate of the monitor you are using, and not a render-to-file issue (To double check, I'd render a problematic section out into a Targa sequence and check the Targa files individually).

If it is a timing issue, try:
- another graphics card
- another monitor (or 2 monitors side by side in clone mode being fed by the same graphics card/settings
- force/change refresh rates on the monitor (60Hz,90Hz, etc...basically multiples of your video's frame-rates)
- read the wiki again for other more complicated solutions (double-buffering, etc)

Thomas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Video Artifacts on playback
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:35:24 pm

[Chris Ricci] "What kind(s) of source footage?
.MOV 1920x1088 36195 kbs 30 fps
JPGs 1272 x 972

I don't know how to tell the original codec"

That's an odd type of video file: about 99.999% of the time they're at 29.97 frames/sec and not 30. The same thing is true for the vertical resolution: why is it 1088 and not 1080?

You can determine the codec by highlighting the footage in the project window and looking at the information at the very top.

You should also know that 6 gigs of memory isn't very much these days. You need to get more. I see you're not using multiprocessing in AE, which is good: you can't.

But if you're REALLY working at 30 fps, I think that could be the source of the problem. It would also be helpful to know the software you use to view the final output.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:32:09 pm

Thanks Dave. I'll get the rest of the answers tonight but the reason for the 30 FPS is the video is for loops. Is that the best frame rate for seemless loops?

I am playing it in Quick Time.

Return to posts index

Jacques LanguedocRe: Video Artifacts on playback
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 4:24:12 pm

I am not sure if it's a CS6 bug or not but I do occasionally have the same type of problem or worse, I get artifacts and noise appearing on the exported video.

It doesn't happen all the time but I notice that if my assets are on a USB 3.0 drive and that I render on the same drive, I do sometime end up with issues.

Solution: export to a different internal drive. It's the only work around I found so far and 100% of the time it solve the issue.

All my assets are AVCHD / MPEG2 and they are always exported to uncompress .avi out of after FX.

I have a Nvidia 570 with latest drivers in my system and all SSD drive inside and USB 3.0 external drives.

Return to posts index

Karla BraithwaiteRe: Video Artifacts on playback
by on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:08:27 pm

Did you ever get the solution for this problem. I have it right now and it' driving me crazy!!!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:17:57 pm

I think it is fixed.

I did put in another internal hard drive and upped my memory. That seemed to do the trick.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Video Artifacts on playback
by on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:18:25 pm

[Karla Braithwaite] "Did you ever get the solution for this problem. I have it right now and it' driving me crazy!!!"

I'm a bit confused: are you saying that you tried all them very many recommendations made in this thread, and subsequently discovered that none of them help?

Or are you saying that you stumbled upon this discussion, recognized a similar problem and are reporting in, having taken no steps to correct your problem?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]