ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS6 render problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Damian
CS6 render problems
on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:55:33 pm

I'm working from home this week and I use CS6 at home instead of CS5 at work. I opened up one of my CS5 project files at home and I noticed something right away. If you look in the circle where the text "24/7 tech support" is displayed you will notice a faint banding in the CS6 version.

I opened the same project file in CS5 on my home station to ensure that it wasn't there.

****PLEASE VIEW AT 100% AS IT IS FAINT***** Any input would be great, I am just going to work in CS5 for this project (which is a bummer). Hopefully someones ran into the same issue.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: CS6 render problems
on Aug 2, 2012 at 6:27:33 pm

Probably a stupid question, but are you working in the same bits per channel across both releases?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Mike Damian
on Aug 2, 2012 at 6:40:55 pm

Yes they are both in 8 bit. It's weird because there is no gradient applied in the white circle.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 2, 2012 at 7:24:32 pm

[Mike Damian] "Yes they are both in 8 bit."

The banding may go away if you promote the project to 16bpc.

[Mike Damian] " It's weird because there is no gradient applied in the white circle."

I assume then that this is a 3D object that is lit?

CS5.5 did tweak the lighting system, added a feature called light fall-off. You may also get better results by increasing the comp's shadow map resolution or by tweaking the fall-off settings.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mike Damian
on Aug 2, 2012 at 11:54:28 pm

No luck with changing comp bit depth.

Changing the shadow map resolution changed the banding pattern but none of them got rid of it.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 2, 2012 at 8:37:06 pm

More details might help come up with an answer.

Are we looking at a 3D layer? What kind of layer is it (Solid, Shape, Video, PSD)? Does it have any effects or masks applied? Are there lights casting shadows? Was CS 6 set to use the ray-trace renderer?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Mike Damian
on Aug 3, 2012 at 12:07:05 am

we are looking at 3D solid layers w/masks in a pre-comp. That pre-comp is also a 3d layer. The layer has 2 lights affecting it ( one ambient and one spot).

All comps are setup to the Classic 3D renderer

The spot light has shadows casting.

So far I found 2 solutions that work

1.)
turn off collapse transformations for the comp with the nested circle shapes.

2.) turning off casts shadows for the spot light.

I still have to look to see if making these adjustments effects other layers or the overall look.

But I must say, it is still bizarre to me, that the same file shows up in both versions different.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 3, 2012 at 1:26:12 am

[Mike Damian] "1.) turn off collapse transformations for the comp with the nested circle shapes."

Try separating the circles a little more along their Z-axes in 3D space in the pre-comp. What we're seeing may be because AE is getting confused about the render order of the shapes.

Errors like these can show up at different viewing resolutions as well (i.e. Quarter, Half, Full) so be sure to check it at Full resolution.

-D

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]