ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creative Cloud plan???? is this deal to good to be true?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tylor Larson
Creative Cloud plan???? is this deal to good to be true?
on Aug 2, 2012 at 2:44:51 pm

is there any cow users out there using the new Creative Cloud service? no disrespcect to adobe... but,...."what the catch?"

i currently have CS 5.5 Production Premium. does that qualify me for 30 dollar a month plan?

Also what happens when cs 7 comes out,.... do i need to drop another 1000-3000 on the next suite or does the cloud service cover that... i know adobe tries to address this in their video... but unless it is in writing i don't believe it.

this deal with adobe all most seems to good to be true...

Ty

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Creative Cloud plan???? is this deal to good to be true?
on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:31:58 pm

As you as you keep paying your monthly subscription fee, you'll have access to Adobe's latest desktop tools. I guess the "catch" is that if you stop subscribing, your copies of Creative Suite will de-activate.

You can compare this to the perpetual license, which costs more upfront, but need not be renewed to be used. However, I do think if you plan on keeping current with your software by buying upgrades when they are released, Creative Cloud offers some pretty attractive pricing compared with the perpetual licenses.

Here's the Creative Cloud FAQ [link], in case you haven't seen it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mike Damian
on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:37:18 pm

Ty,
I have the creative cloud service it is "not to good to be true". Yes since you have a CS5.5 License that will qualify you for the special $30 pricing. Keep in mind this is just for a year, then it goes to the normal rate. It lets you run it on 2 computers at the same time.

As far as 6.5 or 7 - I'm assuming part of the membership means you would get all updates as they comes out. This was a genius step for adobe, I think it should end a lot of piracy as well.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:41:21 pm

I'm using it. I have the $50 a month plan so I'm tied into it for a year. I'm not sure if they were running the cross license $30 a month promotion or whatever you're mentioning.

I did the math and it almost breaks even. If you go through two upgrades (and yes, Creative Cloud is the most up to date, no upgrade fees so far as I can tell) and off-the-shelf upgrades are $1050 while Creative Cloud would be $1200($50*24) but you get some cloud storage a few extra fun things.

Plus, I'd imagine if you live in the US that the cloud subscription is better for your taxes since you can deduct the whole thing as a subscription, rather than depreciate it year after year.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:36:25 am

Here's a pretty good article on this subject - http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-adobe-see-its-way-through-creati...

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]