ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Separate XYZ and then back

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BiederbeckSeparate XYZ and then back
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 5:31:29 pm

I'm on Cs6.
In the graph editor I've separated the xyz values and got my curves just the way I want them. I now want to move on as usual, and not have them separated, but when I click on the separate dimensions button to go back to a single keyframe for position it goes back to linear keyframe.
Anyone know how to avoid this in the future?

Obviously I can create a new null to control it. but this is an incredible flaw on Adobe's part. They could learn a thing or two from Maxon's graph editor.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Separate XYZ and then back
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:08:25 am

You cannot return to normal mode once you've applied Separate Dimensions. It's quite impossible actually and it's not an Adobe engineering hiccup. Separate Dimensions allows you to create temporal behaviors within the graph editor that are otherwise unavailable/impossible. Reverting to normal mode will inevitably invalidate these unique behaviors.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

David BiederbeckRe: Separate XYZ and then back
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:21:25 am

That's really a shame. I'm submitting a request at adobe for their next update.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Separate XYZ and then back
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 2:15:05 pm

[David Biederbeck] "I'm submitting a request at adobe for their next update."

I'd suggest you word this one carefully to make sure you get your point across. Someone not familiar with C4D will not necessarily understand the comparison to Maxon's graph editor.

From AE's perspective, you are not asking to move from separated XYZ back to a single position property -- you are actually asking to keep all position data as separate properties all the time, with the option to consolidate the separated XYZ properties in the interface under a single expandable position view.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved