ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS6 Cache/RAM updating issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephane audrierAE CS6 Cache/RAM updating issue
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 4:25:06 pm

Hi everybody!
Does anyone have a trick for that :

With the new Global Performance Cache it's quite impossible (with out clearing the cache and Purge>Image Cache Memory each time !!!) to get live updates into the Main Comp while you modify something like, for exemple, a Curve on layer from a Pre-Comp !
OK AE CS6 new Global Performance Cache sometimes saves times but in many times it wastes time!!!! And that's not an improvement if it not reach its goal: saving time ?!
Thanks for your help.

Stephane.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE CS6 Cache/RAM updating issue
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 9:54:51 pm

[stephane audrier] "With the new Global Performance Cache it's quite impossible (with out clearing the cache and Purge>Image Cache Memory each time !!!) to get live updates into the Main Comp while you modify something like, for exemple, a Curve on layer from a Pre-Comp !"

I'm not sure I understand the problem here -- you've never been able to have live updates in a locked viewer showing the main comp while tweaking effects in a precomp. These tweaks only ever appear when you release the mouse button, with or without the cache.

I am also not seeing a problem here where the cache fails to invalidate when you tweak something in a precomp. If you have a reproducible case (and you have updated to the current version of AE), you should file a bug report [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

stephane audrierRe: AE CS6 Cache/RAM updating issue
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 8:36:49 pm

Hi.

Thanks for your reply Walter.

Because english is not my language maybe it's not easy for me to explain very well my problem.
How can i say...
I know that i must release the mouse button when i'm tweaking something in a precomp to get the main comp viewer updated.
It's not that...
An exemple to get a idea of what i mean :
- I've a project with a main comp and many precomps.
- I do a preview (-->hit 0)
- I lock the viewer of the main comp and i go to a precomp.
- I tweak the Curves fx (for exemple) of a layer in the precomp, i release the mouse button.
- And then no updates appear in the viewer of the main comp, the previous RAM preview is still loaded (still green line in the timeline). It's like i've changed nothing in the precomp!
- I purge "Image Cache Memory", no change because of the global perfomance caching, so i've to clear that cache from the preferences panel to have a fresh new preview to see the change...!
You see what i mean, I've a persistent preview, it's like it doesn't care of the changes ?!
I don't know if it is a bug or a non efficient feature.

I hope you understand what i mean.

Thanks anyway.

Stéphane.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2012 at 10:38:35 pm

I do understand -- but when I follow those same steps, I get the correct result. The cache is invalidated and the new, correct render is calculated.

If you have not updated to AE CS6 (11.0.1), you should -- it corrected several global performance cache bugs like the one you're describing. In AE, choose Help > Updates.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2012 at 11:13:17 am

Yeah my AE is up to date.

I forgot to mention in my last message that the main comp is time remapped (twixtored, Cache Last Mention unchecked).

By the way, i've got the same problem (persistent cache) in another comp with a different setup... In that comp i've a light animated with few bezier keys, it's set to be Emitter for Particular. And when i tweak a key of the light trajectory into that comp viewer (not main comp viewer), sometimes i've a "jump" of the trajectory (until i clear the cache of course) because all the last ram preview is still loaded except the frame where i was tweaking the key (where it's well updated).
So i've 99% of the old trajectory cached and loaded with 1% (one frame) updated!!!
So again i've to clear every thing, what a tedious way to improve the speed in AE!

Thx.
Stéphane.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2012 at 12:52:07 pm

It sounds like you're hitting a couple corner cases where the global performance cache doesn't work as it should. It's a pretty new feature, but it's also quite complex, and there are still a few bugs like yours that need to be worked out.

In most cases, the global performance cache provides a big performance boost for users -- but when it doesn't, it is a bit painful to work around.

I'd suggest filing separate bug reports [link] for your issues so that they can be fixed in future releases.

[stephane audrier] "I forgot to mention in my last message that the main comp is time remapped (twixtored, Cache Last Mention unchecked)."

Is that the latest version of Twixtor?

[stephane audrier] "By the way, i've got the same problem (persistent cache) in another comp with a different setup... In that comp i've a light animated with few bezier keys, it's set to be Emitter for Particular. And when i tweak a key of the light trajectory into that comp viewer (not main comp viewer), sometimes i've a "jump" of the trajectory (until i clear the cache of course) because all the last ram preview is still loaded except the frame where i was tweaking the key (where it's well updated)."

I can explain why it's happening: because there are no changes to the Particular layer itself, AE is not invalidating the cache for that specific layer when you move the light. AE does not see the relationship between the Particular layer and the emitter light layer, so it doesn't correctly clear the cache for the Particular layer when the light layer moves.

Again, sounds like a bug to me, and I'd report it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2012 at 7:20:40 pm

The version of Twixtor is 5.11.

[Walter Soyka] "In most cases, the global performance cache provides a big performance boost for users -- but when it doesn't, it is a bit painful to work around." I agree with that!!!

I hope Adobe will solve very soon these issues in the next update...

Again thanks Walter for your help !

Stéphane.

P.S : if Adobe can't fix it, at least they should give the possibility to users to enable/disable the global cache into the preferences panel...

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2012 at 7:35:28 pm

Also i will update Particular with the latest version.
Maybe it'll solve this specific issue.
i'll tell you if it solves it...

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2012 at 7:55:50 pm

[stephane audrier] "P.S : if Adobe can't fix it, at least they should give the possibility to users to enable/disable the global cache into the preferences panel..."

If you disable the disk cache in preferences, you just have to purge all memory (Ctrl-Alt-Numpad / on a PC, Cmd-Opt-Numpad / on a Mac).

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:50:49 pm

[stephane audrier] "P.S : if Adobe can't fix it, at least they should give the possibility to users to enable/disable the global cache into the preferences panel..."

Sorry for this mistake, there is already the possibilty to disable it !

Me, Myself and I.

Return to posts index

Jim DodsonRe: AE CS6 Cache/RAM updating issue
by on Oct 28, 2012 at 7:39:48 pm

Stephane-

Just for the record I have had similar problems in different varying scenarios. I make a change but After Effects is still showing the Cache'd version of the frame (changes I make in Plexus for example do not prompt After Effects into thinking a change has been made).

One (not great) work around is to take the opacity of the layer where you are making the change to 99.99% -- this triggers After Effects to re-render the Cache'd frame.

Unfortunately, once you use this trick and then make a new change to that layer - After effects thinks it has a 99.99% version and won't show the new change -- in this case, I can take the opacity to 99.98% etc etc....

I don't love this workaround (it bugs me that I am not at 100% opacity) but it does trick After effects into updating the frame...

Jim Dodson

8 Core Intel -- Mac - OSX

Return to posts index

Craig WetherallRe: AE CS6 Cache/RAM updating issue
by on Apr 23, 2013 at 10:47:17 am

I too have this exact same issue. It's utterly infuriating.

Return to posts index

Philipp Contag-LadaRe: AE CS6 Cache/RAM updating issue
by on Oct 3, 2013 at 8:36:43 am

... in addition: I use Particular (latest version) and the cached frames are being rendered into my final renders. Even if I have a different (non full) resolution activated in my comp view.
Solution for me is, to ad some background to the comp and remove it just before rendering. But even this sometimes fails.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]