ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects: Odd import glitch

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott HayesAfter Effects: Odd import glitch
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:55:27 am

This is my very first time posting here. I admit it, as much as I love the videos on the CreativeCOW YouTube channel, I'm thoroughly intimidated by the idea of posting here.

I'm presently in film school, focusing on post-production. Outside of class, I've always been trying to find various projects to work on and further develop my familiarity with Premiere Pro and After Effects, because I've learned long ago that the best way for me to learn software was to use it as much as possible.

Recently, I've come across an unusual glitch that I'm at a loss to figure out. I obtained from my film editing instructor three short movie files that I could use for color grading practice. All three are Quicktime .mov files, 1920x1080. They open and play perfectly fine in Quicktime Player.

One of the three movie files imported without any problems into After Effects CS5.5, and I was able to complete a color correction project that my film editor instructor pronounced satisfactory.

The other two will not import as nicely. I've taken screenshots of what it looks like after I finish importing the videos and load them onto the timeline in After Effects: and

I get the same result if I try importing them into Premiere Pro.

Just for grins, I decided to see what would happen if I tried importing them into iMovie. To my surprise, they were imported perfectly.

Again, the files play perfectly in Quicktime Player, and do not appear to be corrupted in any way. This makes me think that there's something going on at the Adobe software end.

Does anyone have ideas on what might be going on?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: After Effects: Odd import glitch
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 7:09:01 am

AE may not like the h.264 encoding. I recommend transcoding to a more AE friendly codec that does not use predictive frames. ProRes HQ is good if you can, or Photo JPEG if not.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Scott HayesRe: After Effects: Odd import glitch
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:02:54 am

Thanks for your suggestion. I used iMovie to export a version of the file using a lossless codec, and the resulting import into After Effects was problem free.

Never thought I'd ever see iMovie as a way to solve an After Effects problem. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved