ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Finesse, Linear Workflow and Neat Video questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew JonesColor Finesse, Linear Workflow and Neat Video questions
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 10:00:38 pm

Hey everyone =) I have a few questions about color grading that, after trawling the web for good answers I'd like to throw at the forum here.

I'm working with H.264 footage from a canon 550d, and my workflow is to remove noise with neat video 3.0, then color correct with color finesse, then sharpen. I'm working in 32 bit color depth within after effects (I assume 32 bit depth is always best when grading?). What I'm wondering is, will I get any benefit from linearizing the workspace, I've never used this option before. I understand it changes the gamma. Does this mean that I should always have it checked and that it will change the way my tonal adjustments open up the midtones.. maybe that it will affect the tonal contrast in a pleasing way? or should I leave it off.

Secondly... how would people handle where the noise reduction should fit in this workflow. Would it be better to apply neat video, then render uncompressed, reimport and then apply color finesse... as opposed to just stacking the effects and tweaking the order, and then rendering once... or I could add neat video, precomp the layer and run color finesse on the composition. I've never tried doing all of these things in one app before.

Lastly, does anyone have any suggestions for a great sharpening plugin, other than the AE default one.. and is there anything else I should know to have the perfect workspace set up for grading? should I use any color management? things like that.

I'm sorry for the rather nooby questions, many thanks for any help :)

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Color Finesse, Linear Workflow and Neat Video questions
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 10:19:34 pm

Some reading to get you started. I'd type a lengthier opinion but I should stop goofing off and get back to editing :/

I tend to agree with Stu's posts. I try and noise reduce as early in the pipeline as possible. In terms of rendering it out before applying color finesse... I think that depends on how powerful your computer is. Can you handle ram previewing two effects? or is it slow for you? Neat Video is GPU accelerated with nVidia GPUs so that is a plus.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved