ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Monitoring and outputting high def video for transmission

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger BurtonMonitoring and outputting high def video for transmission
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 6:09:31 am

Hi chaps, I rarely need to produce broad-castable video but have a job on at the moment, there is no video footage involved (only my graphics) so I'm working at HDTV 1080 25 no fields, I've made sure all important information is within the 4x3 title safe area ... all seems good and I've been rendering out lo-res versions and ftp-ing them for customer approval. It's not going to be a massive file (16 secs) .

(1) Without a video card is there a way I can check the final output quality on a TV ? or does everything I can do 'domestically' compress things too much for any accurate assesment (I have an apple tv for instance but that's going to be very compressed I guess) ?

and (2) as this is not going on for further editing and the final output is what is going to be used for broadcast transmission in UK is H264 good enough or should I stick to Animation ?

Thanks you so much for your advice.

Roger

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Monitoring and outputting high def video for transmission
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 1:46:34 pm

[Roger Burton] "(1) Without a video card is there a way I can check the final output quality on a TV ?"

Depends what you're looking for. If you have a good, profiled computer monitor and you are using AE's color management, you can be reasonably certain that the color you see will be very close.

I know you said you were working progressive, but if you were looking at things like interlacing, then the only way to tell is with a proper broadcast monitor.

If you're interested in measurement, there are a couple options for adding scopes to AE: Test Gear from Synthetic Aperture and Scopo Gigio from META/DMA.

[Roger Burton] " as this is not going on for further editing and the final output is what is going to be used for broadcast transmission in UK is H264 good enough or should I stick to Animation ?"

That's usually not up to you -- the broadcaster dictates what format they receive. You should get a delivery spec sheet from them.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: Monitoring and outputting high def video for transmission
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 1:58:16 pm

How do you find time to help people like me Walter, it's really good of you - sharing your expertise and knowledge, such good advice, exactly what I needed. Thank you Roger

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Monitoring and outputting high def video for transmission
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 2:10:18 pm

[Roger Burton] "How do you find time to help people like me Walter, it's really good of you - sharing your expertise and knowledge, such good advice, exactly what I needed. Thank you Roger"

How do I find the time? Render breaks!

Thank you for the kind words, and you are most welcome for whatever advice I can provide.

Cheers,

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: Monitoring and outputting high def video for transmission
by on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:28:24 am

Oh yes render breaks ... I'm just about to take the dog for a walk using the same reason !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]