ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Premiere subclips to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen KennedyPremiere subclips to After Effects
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 7:40:47 pm

Since PP is still unscriptable (WHY?!) I want to be able to take my entire sets of bins of subclips from Premiere over to AE to run some scripts on them. Unfortunately, i can't figure out how to do this.

If I copy and paste from PP to AE, the bin comes through with all the clips, but the In/Out is not maintained - all the clips are master clip length. So if I have a master clip I've turned into two subclips in PP, they both come through into AE as exactly the same clip. This seems like erroneous behaviour to me.

I've also tried putting all the clips into one sequence (this would change the way I write the script, but would be do-able), and then importing the project into AE - but this brings just the sequence through (no sign of any corresponding/related bins), and the sequence is all merged into one footage clip. Other threads I've read on here have suggested that double clicking on the sequence will show all the clips as separate layers in a composition, but this is not the case for me. One long clip. Which is not workable with in terms of scripting (and also seems like erroneous behaviour to me).

So: how can I bring all my clips / subclips over into AE from Premiere, with I/O preserved as it is in Premiere?
Seems like this should be really simple.

Side-note: does anyone know why PP is not scriptable yet, and whether Adobe plans to implement it anytime soon?

Return to posts index

Steven L. GotzRe: Premiere subclips to After Effects
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 8:49:14 pm

I can't tell you why. I can only tell you that subclips were never implemented correctly in my opinion. This problem goes back to the beginning of subclips in Premiere Pro.

That doesn't help you. I know. Other than knowing there is nothing you can do to make it work properly. I suggest that you add your Feature Request to the many that have probably already been submitted.

Having said that, I have a question for you. Since I don't script in AE I really can't check this out for myself, and it may be impractical... but here it is: If you make a new sequence for every subclip, does that help?

I can do that and see that the composition durations are correct, even if the subclip durations are not.

Just wondering.

I just dropped each subclip on the New Item button. You could do a lot of sublips in pretty short order.

Does this help at all? Sorry, but I have been out of the game for a number of years and finally upgraded from CS3 to CS6. So I may be stating the obvious.

Return to posts index

Stephen KennedyRe: Premiere subclips to After Effects
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 9:37:23 pm

Unfortunately this is too manual - you have to do each clip one at a time. Selecting a whole bunch of subclips and dragging them to the new item button turns the whole lot into one concatenated sequence.
I have many hundreds of subclips to process, so this is not really feasible.

I'm sure there must be some way to get clips into AE with their I/O intact...

Or maybe there's a way to convert the subclips into master clips in Premiere...?

Thanks for the help though.

Return to posts index

Steven L. GotzRe: Premiere subclips to After Effects
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 10:35:16 pm

There is a way to make them into master clips. Only it seems to be broken also.

I can make a subclip and see it in the project as 1:00, even though the master clip is 9 seconds long. So far so good.

But when I select "Edit Subclip" and click the "Convert to Master Clip" checkbox, the duration changes from one second to 9 seconds.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved