ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

colors don't match photoshop file when rendered

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Jennings
colors don't match photoshop file when rendered
on Jul 28, 2012 at 2:35:15 am

Hi, I'm having an issue with my rendered Quicktime's colors. There are always off when I render.

I have a Photoshop file imported and the colors look correct in After Effects but are always off when I render no matter what codec I render to.

I rendered to:
Animation,
H.264,
Pro Res HQ with 4:4:4 Chroma filtering both on and off

and ever time the color is off.

I have my Project Settings Color Settings Working Space : Adobe RGB (1998) and it looks like my photoshop file. But upon rendering its off- washed out and off hue.

Any tips?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: colors don't match photoshop file when rendered
on Jul 28, 2012 at 1:43:35 pm

After Effects uses the working space as the default profile for its rendered output. Most video players lack color management and don't know what Adobe RGB is, so they will not display the colors correctly.

If you are only outputting for TV or web, you might consider changing your working space or output profile to Rec. 709 or sRGB. Incoming Adobe RGB imagery will be converted as closely as possible and your output will be in a color space that the playback system expects.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Glen Jennings
on Jul 28, 2012 at 1:58:55 pm

Thank you that is illuminating.

There's one thing though - in my Output Module Settings Color Management Output Profile Settings I don't have a setting that is sRGB.
There is only sRGB IEC61966-2.1, e-sRGB or EPSON sRGB.
And for Rec . 709 the ones that match that title there is HDTV (Rec. 709) and HDTV (Rec. 709) 16-235.

Is there an option that I should choose?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 30, 2012 at 2:12:58 pm

[Glen Jennings] "There is only sRGB IEC61966-2.1, e-sRGB or EPSON sRGB. And for Rec . 709 the ones that match that title there is HDTV (Rec. 709) and HDTV (Rec. 709) 16-235."

Generally speaking, sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and HDTV (Rec. 709), respectively.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Glen Jennings
on Jul 30, 2012 at 7:51:06 pm

I'm noticing now that when I import the Photoshop file the color is off in After Effects.

Are there settings in Photoshop that will make the colors look correct in After Effects?

I turned off Display Color Management so I believe that I am looking at the actual color (interpretted by after effects.)

Are there settings in After Effects that you might be aware of to sync my color from Photoshop?

The Photoshop profile is same as in After Effects -Adobe RGB (1998) but when I match the color coordinates it looks different then in Photoshop.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 30, 2012 at 8:03:34 pm

Different color spaces may use different RGB values to represent the same color, and they may use the same RGB values to represent different colors. The same color will have different RGB values in Adobe RGB and Rec. 709. The purpose of color management is to translate your intended color from one color space to another.

[Glen Jennings] "I turned off Display Color Management so I believe that I am looking at the actual color (interpretted by after effects.)"

If you turn off display color management, you will get a view of how the colors would look on your monitor without management. That will not tell you the "actual color" and that's almost certainly not what you want.

[Glen Jennings] "The Photoshop profile is same as in After Effects -Adobe RGB (1998) but when I match the color coordinates it looks different then in Photoshop."

What do you mean "match the color coordinates?" Again, if your working space is not Adobe RGB, you should expect different RGB values for the same colors -- but the image itself should look the same on-screen (with color management and display color management enabled).

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]