ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Watery eye/glassy eye effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared StruderWatery eye/glassy eye effect
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 10:43:41 am

How do I create a glassy/watery eye effect so it looks like someone has been crying. I only need it on the person's eyes for only 30 frames or so.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Watery eye/glassy eye effect
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:25:24 pm

If it's real quick, you might want to try CC Glue Gun

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregorRe: Watery eye/glassy eye effect
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 4:02:03 pm

Look for some reference in stock photos so you know where and how the highlights fall. Then create a mask for the eye(s) that need the water effect, create a solid and apply wave world effect to it. Find or make a ground for wave world, (I usually use a clouds filter in photoshop) and get a high contrast image with levels effect and adjust accordingly. The reason for this is just so we can get some distortion for the water on the eye. Get a good sim with high samples and low wave speed and find a good, small spot where the waves are moving up or down (you can flip it if there is a good reaction but it's flowing the opposite direction). Then use the matte for the eye(s) as a luma or alpha matte for the wave world solid and adjust the simulation until it's to your liking. If you also place a displacement map with light settings on a duplicate of the eye mask and have that layer as an add blend mode to pop out some highlights. Some finessing will be needed on the wave world solid to get it moving correctly but this should work. And of course if the person is moving you will either need to track or manually place the crying effect, but have it precomped at this point so it's just a single layer, much easier to move without ruining or parenting.
Hope this helps.

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved