ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding random motion to 337 individual pre-comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Foldenauer
Adding random motion to 337 individual pre-comps
on Jul 25, 2012 at 1:52:45 pm

Im using AE 4 and am wondering if anyone knows of any expression or another way to add motion to MANY pre-comps. Im creating a template and trying to make it easy as possible for the customer to change length and motion quickly instead of going through all 337 pre-comps. The pre-comps will land on a certain part of the composition to create a picture. I just need each layer to move into position at random times.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Adding random motion to 337 individual pre-comps
on Jul 25, 2012 at 4:29:21 pm

The right solution will probably depend on what kind of motion you're looking to create.

If you want all of the layers to follow the same basic motion then I'd recommend animating a Null to define the main motion path. From there you can point each layer to the Null's position and offset the start in time. When I do this I like to offset the animation on each layer to begin at the layer's in point. Something like this:

l = thisComp.layer("Null 1");
t = time - inPoint;
l.toWorld(l.anchorPoint, t);

If you then want to add some randomness to the motion path per layer you could do something like add a timeless random value to the result:

seedRandom(index, true);
p = random([-200,-200], [200, 200]);
t = time - inPoint;
l.toWorld(l.anchorPoint, t) + p;

...Or add the layer's own position value to the result:

t = time - inPoint;
l.toWorld(l.anchorPoint, t) + value;

...Or even wiggle the layer's position value then add it to the result:

p = wiggle(1, 50);
t = time - inPoint;
l.toWorld(l.anchorPoint, t) + p;

If you're just looking to create totally random motion then some version of the wiggle() function will probably work for you.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ken Foldenauer
on Jul 25, 2012 at 5:50:46 pm

Im trying to create a mosaic looking transition but instead of using pictures to build the video Im using 337 squares containing portions of the video (If that makes any sense) I think I may have to just do individual key frames to each square. Thanks though

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 25, 2012 at 6:22:09 pm

Have you tried the Card Dance effect [link]?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 25, 2012 at 6:22:20 pm

Could you possible use Card Dance to accomplish this? Otherwise you might want to look at the Matrix Script over at AEscipts.com. Matrix is a bit of render hog though.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ken Foldenauer
on Jul 25, 2012 at 8:10:40 pm

I'm not familiar with card dance but I did look into it a bit and it is essentially what I'm looking for the only thing I haven't found yet is how to make the layers travel in one direction. I want them to come from behind the camera to the front. I will keep trying but this looks like it could be the answer. I did a comp where I set all the key frames and it looks exactly how I want it to but its not easily changeable for a customer. Thanks everyone!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]