ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

color shift when importing Illustrator to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Greenwald
color shift when importing Illustrator to After Effects
on Jul 24, 2012 at 6:26:25 pm

My colors look totally off in AE compared to how I made them in AI. The colors have different hex numbers (checked after making the AI file a shape vector in AE). I think it's a CMYK/RGB problem.

The AI documents were made in CMYK. AE uses RGB colors. However, even after converting all the layer colors and the document to RGB (Edit > Edit Colors > Convert to RGB, File > Document Color Mode > RGB Color), there is no change in AE.

Are there other settings that I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Michael

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: color shift when importing Illustrator to After Effects
on Jul 25, 2012 at 2:59:20 am

After changing and saving your illustrator file did you do one of the following:

- Restart After Effects
- In the project bin in After Effects, did you right click the AI file and select reload?

In After Effects, also make sure you're now interpreting the AI file as sRGB as to avoid introducing a conversion in the other direction if it's still interpreting the file as US Coated, or some other CMYK profile.

Just want to hit this with some of the "duh!" troubleshooting first.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Michael Greenwald
on Jul 26, 2012 at 12:41:55 am

Reloading footage is no problem, I do it all the time.

About color management: I changed the Working Space in Color Settings to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". So now all footage is being interpreted as sRGB. Nothing has changed, though.

Return to posts index

Chris Vo
on Dec 10, 2013 at 9:41:15 pm

Did you find the answer to this?

I have the same issue where I use the same HEX code in both Illustrator CC and AE CC and yet they are significantly different on-screen within AE (AE tends to come out lighter). Illustrator is in RGB mode.

Return to posts index

Jason Soquet
on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:23:27 pm

My problem was that the .eps when imported into After Effects they looked darker. I found that if I save the file from Illustrator to make sure that Include CMYK PostScript in RGB Files is unchecked. Boom. same color. Hope that help some of you.

Return to posts index

Adam Kois
on Apr 8, 2014 at 3:51:53 pm

^^ the above works for saving .EPS files but I'm trying to import as composition and having the same problem. Any solution?

Return to posts index

Jimmy Wanamassa
on Jul 21, 2015 at 3:45:30 pm

This did the trick for me. I was trying to get a colored gradient background into Premiere from Illustrator. Saved as .eps but had to remove Include CMYK PostScript in RGB Files.

Return to posts index

val denelia
on Sep 24, 2015 at 3:35:36 pm

Thank you so much for this!
Was driving me mad

Return to posts index

bassem akl
on Apr 19, 2016 at 12:24:16 pm

hello, i know its very late but did you find any solutions for your problem ? i am facing the same issue

thanks!

Return to posts index

Brendan Reilly
on Apr 19, 2016 at 1:13:05 pm

Yes. Under FILE, set the DOCUMENT COLOR MODE in Adobe Illustrator to RGB COLOR. That fixes the issue when bringing the graphic into After Effects. For some reason, the color fluctuation occurs when the vector image is left in CMYK color.

Return to posts index

bassem akl
on Apr 19, 2016 at 2:28:28 pm

the document in illustrator is already set to RGB colour mode, and the colours in aef and ai have the same hex code yet in aef its very bright compared to ai.. I am really confused with this..

Return to posts index

Adam Kois
on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:13:59 pm

So I found a work around for this. I'm importing the AI file and setting the color profile as ColorMatch RGB.
So Right click on AI file - interpret footage - main - color management (tab) - select ColorMatch RGB from "assign profile" drop down

It's really annoying especially since I'm importing a bunch of layers as a composition... but at least the colors are correct :)

If anyone finds the correct way to fix this within Illustrator please let me know.

Using Adobe CC 12.2.1.5

Return to posts index

Brendan Reilly
on Apr 24, 2014 at 3:56:14 pm

I've been having the same issue and this workaround helped, but when I take the animation, which now looks correct in After Effects, into Premiere Pro, I'm having the same issue with the colors being darker again. What am I missing? I'm using the latest version of Adobe CC for everything.

Return to posts index

Adam Kois
on Apr 24, 2014 at 4:10:04 pm

How are you exporting?

What is your project settings? : Working color space, depth?

You might want to try setting your working color space to make sure it is exporting in that and use the same setting in premier.

I don't really have much experience working in Premier, but I'm assuming that you aren't rendering out the project and then importing the footage correct? I would just do that if you can. I don't see why the colors would change after rendering.

Return to posts index

Brendan Reilly
on Apr 24, 2014 at 4:35:59 pm

I'm using ColorMatch RGB and 32 for depth. No matter what export settings I try, I'm still seeing a slight but noticeable darkening of the colors. I've tried exporting the footage from After Effects and then importing it into the Premiere project, and I've tried linking the comp directly to Premiere and then exporting. No luck either way.

Return to posts index

Adam Kois
on Apr 24, 2014 at 4:42:36 pm

Hmm Sorry, don't really know what to tell ya :(

Return to posts index

Ricardo Aragão
on Jun 1, 2014 at 10:52:11 pm

I was having a similar, if not the same, problem. And it had all to do with the transparency in my illustrations. As I pressed Cmd + D in my Illustrator file, I could see there was no real white background for the image, although it seemed to.

My solution was simple: change the After Effects composition setting to have a white background.

Hope it helps someone. And sorry for any english mistake.

Return to posts index

Perry Kroll
on Aug 11, 2014 at 10:23:21 pm
Last Edited By Perry Kroll on Aug 11, 2014 at 10:23:53 pm

I know this thread is really old, but I'm adding this in because it's the first thread that comes up in Google for a problem that I think a lot of people are having.

When importing AI files to After Effects, the colors are coming out shifted.

The solution, which I found after much digging, is:

Open the file in Illustrator.

Select everything in your document

Choose Edit > Edit Colors > Convert to CMYK.

This will convert spot colors to process colors.

Return to posts index

Wilson Costa Campos
on Sep 16, 2014 at 12:24:29 am

ok after running into this problem none of the solutions above worked for me.
but the following worked for me.
The illustrator document i was working was on cmyk mode and changing to RBG didn't solve. I copied the HEX value and deleted all the colours from the appearance sub-menu which can be found under window. I copied the (colourless) shapes into new RGB file and gave them HEX values and done!
This happened with a logo with only 2 colours so it was easy to change the HEX values.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Aragão
on Nov 9, 2014 at 4:52:39 pm
Last Edited By Ricardo Aragão on Nov 9, 2014 at 5:19:28 pm

This (changing do CMYK) just make the color more intense, but not right (for me). Thanks for trying to help anyway.

NEW SOLUTION (worked for me):

The problem was all about the color profile. Once I'changed the color profile (Edit>Assign Profile..) to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, Illustrator file's colors looked just the same as it looked in After Effects composition.

I didn't want to recolor everything though. What I did was create a new Illustrator file with sRGB color profile assigned, then copied everything in the troubled file and pasted in the new file with "Paste Remember Layer" (in Layers' Panel's options) checked to preserve all my layers' structure.

It worked! After Effects recognize the colors now.
Hope it helps someone.

Return to posts index

Eric Perry
on Jul 9, 2015 at 3:58:42 pm

If no one has discovered the answer yet, I discovered it after looking through this forum and doing some google searching. This link explains first about colors, and if you need some advice on how to prepare your AI file for after effects it has even more information: http://www.jamesmerry.co.uk/home/?p=388

The simple answer is this. You need to change your document's color mode. It's a very simple thing to do.
1.) open your file in illustrator (if you already have it opened in AE that is ok as long as you have CC, it should auto update once you update this setting.
2.) Click "File" on the menu bar
3.) Click "Document Color Mode"
4.) Select "RGB Color"

Save your file normally.

Done!

Mine auto updated correcting the color shift. I don't know how this will apply to exporting from AE, but I use Dynamic link for everything so I don't have to export more than once.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Zakaria Ounis
on Aug 22, 2015 at 8:51:48 pm

I had the same issue, i changed the color mode from the File> Document color mode, this worked once for some files but for some other files it didn't, so i think i discoverer the problem which was in the swatches, when i double clicked on one of the colors this brought the swatch options i found out the the color mode for this color was set to CMYK although the AI file is set to RGB so going through each color swatch and setting it to RGB solved the problem for me hope someone might find this useful

Return to posts index

Zach Prichard
on Mar 22, 2016 at 7:21:13 pm

THANK YOU!

While the other workarounds worked as, well, workarounds. This actually solved the problem. I just went into my swatch palate, went into the generic "swatch options" menu and changed CMYK to RGB and it worked!

Was driving me nuts since I knew I had color mode set to RGB and it still wasn't working.

THANKS!

Return to posts index

David Ells
on Aug 18, 2016 at 3:37:02 pm

Thanks Zac(k). Both of you had the solution to my problem. I just spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Adobe, one from AE and the other from Illustrator and they both just told me that color synchronization between applications was not possible due to the difference in architecture and color modes that they each use. I was very frustrated. I wish I had spent a little more time googling to save me this time. Not happy with Adobe support right now at all.

Return to posts index

Richard DuCasse
on Jan 17, 2017 at 6:00:19 pm

This comment and the following 2 helped me figure out how to fix this for my Illustrator file. It was already in RGB mode, but one color looked very wrong after import to After Effects. In Illustrator, when I selected it, it was labeled as a "Pantone color". So I selected all the shapes that had that same dark blue, then I clicked the Palette icon; clicked the Options icon, and selected RGB to convert it. Then it matched the same RGB color in After Effects.

So even though the RGB numbers looked correct in Illustrator, they did not match an RGB solid of the same blue in After Effects. I had to go back in Illustrator and select that one color that was a Pantone or "Spot color" to individually convert it to RGB. Just having the whole document set to RGB did not properly convert that color. It had to be done manually in the Palette menu.

I also spent an hour searching on Adobe's website and it did not help. This seems like a bug in Illustrator.

Return to posts index

mike Price
on Nov 8, 2015 at 12:07:40 am

Thanks, Erick, you helped me big time!!!

Setting Ideas Into Motion

Return to posts index

Matt Reinbold
on Apr 7, 2016 at 3:08:56 pm

Just another solution in case the above didn't fix the problem. I had the same issue above, even after converting the .eps to RGB under File >>> Document Color Mode.

I found the crux of my issue. When saving your .eps, there is a tick mark, that may be automatically selected based on the project, that says "Include CMYK PostScript in RGB Files." Turning this off, in addition to changing the the document Color Mode, should fix nagging issues of a file's colors importing incorrectly to After Effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]