Masking off moving text with a feathered transparent mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Col de Catford
Masking off moving text with a feathered transparent mask
on Jul 24, 2012 at 1:33:21 pm

Hi there,

Have had a good look & can't find the answer to this one - so here goes:

I'm going to animate some titles going over footage. Each titles slide needs to exit from the side but I want them to disappear through a feathered mask within the frame rather than just off the edge - kind of like this:

Can't quite work out how to do this - if I put a mask over the text it doesn't stay put, and I can't use a coloured vignette as i dont want to disturb the footage below.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Masking off moving text with a feathered transparent mask
on Jul 24, 2012 at 2:22:09 pm

If your project isn't quite as complicated as the Bourne credits, you could place a solid over your text layer, mask the area where the text will be visible and add a feather. Now on your text layer change it's track matte to "Alpha"

You may need to create a solid mask/feather setup for each layer of text if different layers of text are moving off in different directions.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Col de Catford
on Jul 24, 2012 at 2:53:15 pm

That's the one! Many thanks dude.
Chris

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 24, 2012 at 3:54:50 pm

There are a few solutions. John covered a good one, but if you have lots of text layers it can grow unwieldy.

Another option would be to pre-compose your text layers, create your gradient layer above them in this pre-comp and enable its "Preserve Transparency" switch (in between the blend mode and track matte drop downs on the layer).

Yet another option would be to pre-compose the text, then make your gradient in the main composition, apply the 'Set Matte' effect to the gradient layer and point it to the text pre-comp. This option would work well if, for example, you needed your text pre-comp to have collapse transformations enabled as preserve transparency won't work in that case.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]