ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Thunderbolt drive for AE cache

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger BurtonThunderbolt drive for AE cache
by on Jul 24, 2012 at 11:40:07 am

Hi chaps, I have another thread going about this type of potential speed improvement but just noticed that the The Elgato Thunderbolt SSD is 33% off if anyone was considering one (only 10% off the cable though) !

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Thunderbolt drive for AE cache
by on Jul 24, 2012 at 2:52:52 pm

Here's the thing. USB 3 speeds are a theoretical 5GBps, I'm not sure that even a Thunderbolt SSD would be faster.

Nor that the current price premium on Thunderbolt products is worth the current 10GBps theoretical difference. The SSD would need to read and write faster than either of these interfaces.

My understanding is that the current TB implementation is over copper, not fiber optic, so its doesn't yet achieve its potential.

I've got an external USB 3 SSD on my Macbook Retina, and its read/write is 190 MB/s - 175 MBs for a 512 MB 1920x1080 10bit RGB video frame.

I have an internal SSD on my Mac Pro that AECS6 uses as a cache and its about as fast as a 7,200 SATA 3 RAID 0.

Don't get me wrong, Thunderbolt is an amazing technology, as more devices become available, it will get better. I look forward to that day.

The USB 3 Drive I'm using cost under $200, I bought an empty case for less than $25 and a 240GB drive for $169.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved