ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE Tuts+ Circle Tutorial Advice needed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raymond MillerAE Tuts+ Circle Tutorial Advice needed
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:19:31 pm

I recently found a great tutorial at AE Tuts+ it makes use of the circle effect. The issue that I am having is with the first animation in the tutorial, steps 1-13, the expanding color changing circles. I want to know how to make those circles loop their expanding color animation for infinitum. Does anyone have any advice?

See the tutorial here-

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: AE Tuts+ Circle Tutorial Advice needed
by on Jul 24, 2012 at 2:15:58 am

I don't see a way to have Foam loop a custom particle, so we need to create a particle that has a loop point and then loop that particle forever(or at least as long as the duration of your composition. Using the time remap and a quick expression, you can create a seamless loop for your "Circle" precomp layer.

Open up the "Circles" precomp and delete "Circles 07". Select 1 through 5 and duplicate them(Cntl + D). With them still highlighted move them up so they are the the top layers of your composition, now drag them all at once so that "Circles 07" starts at 3:12. Go to layer 10, to the frame where layer 11 starts(5:23) and press "shift 2", this will be the last frame of the loop. Now we need to find the next frame. It's "Circle 06" at 3:00, press "shift 1"

***These points don't have to be the loop points, I chose them cause the circle was full size at this point and made for a pretty easy loop.

Open up the Abstract circles composition, select the "Circles" layer and at any place on the timeline, press "*"(multiplication symbol on the number keypad), this should put a layer marker on your "Circles" layer. Right click the marker and select "Update Markers from Source"

Now enable time remapping by pressing "Ctnl + Alt + T". Add keyframes at both of your layer markers. There should be a start and end keyframes, delete the End keyframe. Now go to your keyframe at "Marker 1" and copy it. Now go to the keyframe at "Marker 2", move 1 frame forward (6:00) and paste the first keyframe. Now Alt + click your time remap stopwatch to add this expression. loopOut(type = "cycle", numKeyframes =2). The expression tells it to go back and loop starting at the 2nd keyframe.

Finally, Press Cntl + K to extend change the duration of your composition and extend all your layers. Here's the final project I came up with.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved