ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"could not convert unicode characters" error 23:46

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maurizio Panella
"could not convert unicode characters" error 23:46
on Jul 23, 2012 at 5:58:37 pm

Hi all,
I have this error message when I try to import an .AAF project from Avid Media Composer 6.0.1.1 via Automatic Duck Pro Import
I have no success with all the solutions I've read on the web
Including this forum
My OS is Lion 10.7.2
After Effects is CS 5.5
My media drive is an external Lacie
I need to work with AE so please help me

Thanks in advance
Maurizio


Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: "could not convert unicode characters" error 23:46
on Jul 24, 2012 at 2:59:38 pm

Are there any foreign characters (foreign to us in the US, not foreign to you!) in the volume name or file path?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events


Return to posts index

Maurizio Panella
Re: "could not convert unicode characters" error 23:46
on Jul 25, 2012 at 5:52:35 am

Thanks Walter,
I dont think so
My Mac OS is in italian, like Adobe suite
Avid Media Composer is in english
My clips are from Sony XDCAM EX1R with verbatim sdhc cards
I have nothing in chinese or japanese or something like this
But I have to say that when I try to open an AE project there is a folder creation with some files and the names of these files have some chinese or japanese character

Sorry for my poor english, I'm italian
Thanks again


Return to posts index


Walter Soyka
Re: "could not convert unicode characters" error 23:46
on Jul 25, 2012 at 3:06:21 pm

Any characters with accents in the path? Those would be the first things I'd look for. If there are any (like an é) change it to the character without the accent (e).

This is all just a guess on my part.

Tuo inglese e meglio del mio italiano.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events


Return to posts index

Tony Virili
Re: "could not convert unicode characters" error 23:46
on Sep 6, 2012 at 3:34:01 am

I'm using CS6 and just ran into this problem. Not only could I not drag a specific file into AE, but I couldn't even use Ctrl-I or File>Import without getting the error.

Adobe has a help page for previous versions that mentions replacing some files, but didn't work.

What Walter states is true and my problem was solved when I found a folder name on an external drive that I was accessing suddenly had an additional unusual character. Once I removed the character everything was fine.

Thanks!


Return to posts index

Jesse Stormer
Re: "could not convert unicode characters" error 23:46
on Sep 6, 2012 at 10:49:44 pm

Thank you! Turns out one of the people setting up the folder structure copied a bullet point out of word into the file name -- AE does not like bullet points. Don't just look at the file name, but the file location. If there is a weird symbol in the path AT ALL it will not accept the location of the file. It's not denying you of the file, it's denying you of the location of the file.


Return to posts index


Stephen Lee
Re: "could not convert unicode characters" error 23:46
on Nov 21, 2012 at 3:17:58 pm

What do you mean by volume name or path? I'm having this same problem which started happening after using the raytrace 3D renderer. Everything was working perfectly before working with 3D extruded text.

Stephen Lee
Senior Multimedia Designer
FCPS


Return to posts index

Patrick Woo
Re: "could not convert unicode characters" error 23:46
on Dec 22, 2014 at 6:02:24 am

Hi I chanced upon this error and I solved it also by chance, on the first try.

Here's what I did.
- file -> import recent footage (load one of the previous footage that worked)

Thereafter, all your imports should work like before.

It was a fluke but it worked. I have not had the problem for a long time so I would not be able to advise further if it still doesnt work after trying my solution.

Nevertheless, Let me know if it works for you. I hope it helps


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]