ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"Silhouette Luma" layers affecting main timeline and not just pre-comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Imam"Silhouette Luma" layers affecting main timeline and not just pre-comp
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 5:57:09 pm

Hi all,

Running into an odd problem with After Effects CS5. I have a pre-comp which contains several layers (a planet on one layer, and some objects on the surface of the planet on other layers). I applied the ""Silhouette Luma" mode to my objects (on top of the planet layer) because it is the look I need. Problem is, when I drop this pre-comp into the timeline of my main comp, the objects continue to be transparent and my background layer is appearing through these semi-opaque holes in my planet.

Any idea how to prevent these modes from affecting the main timeline (i.e. I only want them to apply to the layers in my pre-comp)?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: "Silhouette Luma" layers affecting main timeline and not just pre-comp
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 6:56:55 pm

[Mike Imam] "
Any idea how to prevent these modes from affecting the main timeline (i.e. I only want them to apply to the layers in my pre-comp)?"

It sounds like you have the "Collapse Transformations" switch enabled on the pre-comp in your main comp. You'll have to disable that if you don't want those layers punching holes in your main composition.

Alternatively, if you need collapse transformations enabled, find another solution other than Silhouette Luma to create alpha from luminance. I like the "Set Matte" effect. You won't be able to use an adjustment layer to apply it, however, as this will still affect the main comp due to collapse transformations. Instead, target the application of Set Matte specifically to those layers you need to matte.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Mike ImamRe: "Silhouette Luma" layers affecting main timeline and not just pre-comp
by on Jul 24, 2012 at 4:29:30 pm

Thanks a mil for the help! Didn't realize the switch was on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]