ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I kern text that is edited via expressions?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cabestany
How do I kern text that is edited via expressions?
on Jul 23, 2012 at 5:36:12 pm

I have a text layer that shows time progression, from the year 2000 to 2012 via an expression in the source text linked to a slider with a Math.floor expression applied to it.

The problem is that the numbers on years like 2011 for example aren't kerned properly, and it looks ugly, but as long as the expression is enabled I can't modify the kerning, just the tracking, can anyone let me know how to kern when an expression is controlling the text source?

Thanks,
D.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: How do I kern text that is edited via expressions?
on Jul 24, 2012 at 6:17:51 pm

you're going to want to do this with different text layers.

even if you animated the text manually, with keyframes on the source text, you wouldn't be able to keyframe the kerning. nor could you find a creative way to use a text animator, since there is not a text animator for kerning.

so what i would do is create a comp with 12 different text layers (1 for each year). the comp can be 12 frames (one frame for each year). type the years out, trim them to one frame each and then use the keyframe assistant to sequence them. go through each frame and tweak the kerning as needed.

then that that comp into the main comp, apply time remapping and adjust the remapping keyframes as needed to fit the duration.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 24, 2012 at 6:56:42 pm

[Kevin Camp] "even if you animated the text manually, with keyframes on the source text, you wouldn't be able to keyframe the kerning."

ooops, i was wrong about that. the kerning is saved with the source text keyframe, so you could in fact do this on a single text layer with keyframes for both the text (year count) and kerning adjustment.

so i would type in the years in the text field with the timing that you currently have and adjust the kerning at each source text keyframe... that's a bit easier than the single-text-layer-per-year method.

sorry about that.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 24, 2012 at 7:10:33 pm

[Kevin Camp] "even if you animated the text manually, with keyframes on the source text, you wouldn't be able to keyframe the kerning."

ooops, i was wrong about that. the kerning is saved with the source text keyframe, so you could in fact do this on a single text layer with keyframes for both the text (year count) and kerning adjustment.

so i would type in the years in the text field with the timing that you currently have and adjust the kerning at each source text keyframe... that's a bit easier than the single-text-layer-per-year method.

sorry about that.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 24, 2012 at 7:10:45 pm

ooops, i'm wrong about that. the kerning is saved with the source text keyframe, so you could in fact do this on a single text layer with keyframes for both the text (year count) and kerning adjustment.

so i would type in the years in the text field with the timing that you currently have and adjust the kerning at each source text keyframe.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jul 24, 2012 at 7:18:29 pm

Thanks Kevin, I guess that works for a short range like this one, but it defeats the purpose of using and expression and saving time with it, I can't imagine doing this from 1000 to 12000, for example.
I'll rework this one to this method.

Best,
David.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 24, 2012 at 8:28:43 pm

if you had a larger count range, you could rig up the slider, get the timing the way you need it, then choose to convert the expression to keyframes. then adjust the kerning on a per value basis...

this method would create a keyframe for every frame, regardless of whether the value changed or not, so those would be a big nuisance, but you might be able to find a script to remove those keyframes.

another option would be to find a font editing tool and adjust the character spacing for the numbers to fit the width of individual numbers -- most fonts maintain a fixed width or near fixed width spacing for numbers, so you just need to undo that.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:59:29 pm

neither option sounds very appealing. I'll try the numbers plug in instead.

thanks!

Return to posts index

isabelle lassalvy
on Mar 24, 2014 at 11:27:54 am

I use a font which got the number "1" kerned (like auto digital) for exemple.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]